Is Hosta Curly Fries really "all that"?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Is Hosta Curly Fries really "all that"?

Post by Chris_W »

I've had a few people ask if we carry Hosta 'Curly Fries' this summer, but I've passed on it so far. It is a seedling of Pineapple Upsidedown Cake, and from the parentage and description I worry that it is just going to fry and melt out by the end of the summer. I've had bad luck with some of Bob Solberg's intros so am always a bit cautious about adding his plants to my collection, partly, I'm sure, because our soil pH is so high and some plants really struggle with it. Am I being too cautious on this particular one?

What's your experiences with Curly Fries so far, if you have it, or if you've seen it, what do you think?
Linda P

Re: Is Hosta Curly Fries really "all that"?

Post by Linda P »

I have it, and it's doing well. So far, no melting out. Mine could be growing a bit faster, but it probably isn't in the best spot.
I think it could take a little more sun than I'm giving it.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Do not know

Edited... Mistake, it was not Curly Fries, I still have that one and it have to be rather tuff, it is still in its pot in the holding bed :blush:
Still alive
Last edited by thy on Aug 29, 2012 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by ogrefcf »

Got mine a couple months ago and it seems to be doing well. I've also really neglected my gardens and it's still done fine. PUDC on the other hand, looks like crap.
Owen
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

I got it this year and I LOVE it. The leaves are different - one from another, the flowers (It's flowering now) are in proportion to the rest of the plant and the scapes have a reddish or purple cast to them. I've got more pics than the one on my new hostas thread, but they are on the other computer, presently being used by DH.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

Curly Fries is night and day different than its parent. Excellent grower, very good substance, and does not melt, in my experience. I have a lot of ugly, tired, fried hostas right now, but CF is not one of them. Excellent seller, too :)
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Curly_Fries-120812sx.jpg
Here's the most recent pic I have of mine. It really is a lovely plant.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
New Topic Post Reply