Anyone else thanking Hurricane Isaac?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Schattenfreude
USDA Zone: 5b - 6a

Anyone else thanking Hurricane Isaac?

Post by Schattenfreude »

We got 5-6" of rain out of Isaac remnants on Friday and Saturday!! HALLELUJAH! Still way behind on precip for the year, but it's a start in the right direction :-)

Anyone else get some much-needed moisture from Isaac?

Kevin in KC
isadora
USDA Zone: 6B-7

Re: Anyone else thanking Hurricane Isaac?

Post by isadora »

We got about 2/12" from Isaac, and about the same last week, so we are good for now with more rain forecast starting Wednesday. Lovin' it!

Sandy
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I'm glad that some of you got some much needed rain from this storm. :D We didn't get any rain from this one, but for us personally the drought wasn't that severe this summer as we were lucky to get the occasional stray storm now and then in July and August.
morgansrgr8
USDA Zone: 5

Post by morgansrgr8 »

It started raining here Friday afternoon after 4. On and off all nite. So good for all the hosta I have to transplant. A friend passed and I brought home 156 bags of hosta home. His son didnt want them. Now I have alot of homework to do. What is the best place to make sure I have the right name to each hosta?
Linda
I know I am past the point of no return but what a way to go.

My Hosta List
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

No, no relief from Isaac here. We got a few sprinkles. Hauled out the hoses again yesterday
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
boops
USDA Zone: 6b

Post by boops »

Due to get the effects tomorrow and Wednesday up to 2". We really don't need it, but I can shut off my sprinkler system and save some money.
My Hosta List

Do one thing everyday that makes you happy
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:evil: Linda, just sorry ... You need the water if only for the garden

Next huricane in line for you have done a strange move and will hit England and Denmark... bringing these nice temps to an end and let fall temps dominate ...

In one hand I am menthaly ready for it....planting time first, then books and fireplace :lol:
Practically, I am far behind as allways

In the other hand I want these nice temps to continue and continue.. even I have to give water
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Pia, I am hoping for a very long autumn season with moderate temperatures. I have so many things I want to do outside, like
painting the porch, cleaning the garage, moving about 30 daylilies that are in too much shade, moving some hostas, etc.
It's been too hot out for me to do much beyond hauling the sprinkler and hoses around the garden...and weeding now and again.
Today it is once again over 90 degrees, but this may be the last of the heat. I hope so!
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by ogrefcf »

Linda P wrote:Pia, I am hoping for a very long autumn season with moderate temperatures. I have so many things I want to do outside, like
painting the porch, cleaning the garage, moving about 30 daylilies that are in too much shade, moving some hostas, etc.
It's been too hot out for me to do much beyond hauling the sprinkler and hoses around the garden...and weeding now and again.
Today it is once again over 90 degrees, but this may be the last of the heat. I hope so!
Agreed! I gave up about two months ago on my yard in hopes of a nice fall. I have a lot of stuff I need to catch up on and beds to finish.
Owen
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

mé too, O'Neill with pleasent temps, a goodwill rain evert gift Day, not too Munch Wind
Wow, I have so Manu tings to dó too

LOL, Thisted is nonsens.. Trying to type ón a IPad.. And it makes wird words
DS have mine for a new installation... Tree days hé Said.... Lets see :-?
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
morgansrgr8
USDA Zone: 5

Post by morgansrgr8 »

I am so grateful for the rain. We had to move a friends hosta. The deer ate them clear up to the house so guess what I brought home? I might have lost my chickens but gained an enclosed hosta garden. Alot of the poor things were chewed to the ground. And the ground was so dry. When we put them in the ground and watered them in you could almost hear them sigh. Now with a couple days of rain they look much better. Hard to believe but they do. :beer:
Attachments
new hosta garden.jpg
Linda
I know I am past the point of no return but what a way to go.

My Hosta List
Bob Scott
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by Bob Scott »

We've had a couple of day with steady rain. Amazing how the neighbors were out looking like it was snow fall in the desert. I know that because we were out there looking too. :lol:
I cut my grass Friday before it came. That was the first time since the middle of June that I've done that and the natural rain as caused more growth on the grass then the last two months of almost daily watering. Probably have to cut it again in a few days.
Dern rain! :lol: :lol: :wink:
boops
USDA Zone: 6b

Post by boops »

Forecast for us is rain again today, extreme humidity and chance of thunder storms the rest of the week. Should let up for the weekend. Another day off for my water bill :lol:
My Hosta List

Do one thing everyday that makes you happy
New Topic Post Reply