Advice Required: Overwintering in a window well OK?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
rufie98
USDA Zone: 6

Advice Required: Overwintering in a window well OK?

Post by rufie98 »

Well, my husband says that we don't have enough room in our unheated garage to overwinter all my potted hostas. Of course, I could debate that. Nevertheless, he suggested that perhaps our two window wells just might work for that purpose. The window wells are covered with thick panes of plastic. Very little rain would get in there. Do you think that could work? Can you see any problems with that? I would appreciate your comments---as always. We live in Ontario, Canada.
Mark Raw
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Advice Required: Overwintering in a window well OK?

Post by Mark Raw »

I have never had to overwinter any of my plants, there again I am in England UK. I have often wondered what would happen if I put a pot or two in the loft as the season progresses, would it make it emerge sooner and then make the plant weaker as I out it back outside? knowing most hostas it probaly wouldn't bother it;maybe the odd bit of spring damage??? Oh I think I am zone 8 or 9 not so sure.
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

You must be in southern Ontario to be in a zone 6. But I'm betting it would work. You might want to try it with less valued hostas at first. And let us know how it works.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
rufie98

Post by rufie98 »

Yes I am in southern Ontario. I like that idea of using my least valued hostas as an experiment. I guess the only drawback I can think of is that it may be a little warmer in the window well (as compared to the garage) due to some exposure to the sun through the plastic top. That I think would encourage the hostas to begin emerging earlier in the spring. I will report my findings next year.
Bob Scott
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by Bob Scott »

Could it possibly be to warm in there with the plastic covering? If it didn't let them go dormant then the cold nights could be hard on them.
Mark Raw
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Mark Raw »

Maybe if you can afford to keep them under cover for some time yhey could produce better plants for placing outside later in the year.
Bill Meyer

Post by Bill Meyer »

Hi Rufie,

We've done that here in Connecticut and it works fine. The window wells act like little greenhouses and moderate the winter temps. As sieboldiana and fragrant types are the most sensitive to being wintered in pots, those are what we put there. They will start earlier in spring as the wells warm up faster.

Whenever or however you force hostas early in the spring, you want to keep them cool or the leaves will form weak and thin and not hold up well through the summer. Keep an eye on the plants in the well and get them out before they unfurl or just take the well covers off to let cooler air in.

The one major problem to be concerned with is mice or voles getting into the well. We had that happen one year and they ate everything in there. I would put traps and/or poison in there in case any come for dinner.

.......Bill Meyer
If you thought the auction was fun, come to the meeting!
rufie98

Post by rufie98 »

Thank you all for giving my question consideration. Especially thank you to Bill for letting me know of your experience overwintering in a window well. Your suggestions about poison for mice and/or voles and opening up the plastic on the window wells is well received. It's always nice to hear of other people's experiences.
New Topic Post Reply