Labels

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Schattenfreude
USDA Zone: 5b - 6a

Re: Labels

Post by Schattenfreude »

Regarding labels, I never realized how tricky moving the hose would be with all of those label markers in the ground.... let alone raking up the leaves! It was hard enough not mashing hosta leaves, but with all of the added markers, I felt I was running through a maze every time I had to water!!

I think this year I will push them way down so they're not standing up as tall...

Kevin in KC
Phil_and_Gayle
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Phil_and_Gayle »

We've been using a P-Touch label maker to create the clear labels that we then peel-n-stick onto the zinc labels and they stay readable long after the prongs have rusted away. I have some that are at least six years old. Most often I replace labels only because they get bent up by hoses, dogs or rakes. The label maker is easy to use and set up any size text, fonts, etc. and they way outlast the metal labels themselves. We purchased a used P-Touch machine online from http://www.imagesupply.com and we purchase the spools of clear labels there also. I highly recommend this method.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Kevin, do you need to rake up the leaves ?
It have to be a thik layer before they make problems here.
The Brittish gardencenters have some nice ild fasion iron things to place where the hose will harm the plants. Saw some made of wood in Germany too, just sort of 2½ ich wide short poles. Think off a very short fine pole for a big mouse fence :roll:

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Kevin, I feel your pain but mine isn't leaves, it's pine needles. I use two firemen hoses to water in the back due to one year falling so hard it taught me no hoses in the hosta bed.
At least the firemen hoses lay flat. Smart idea to push them all the way down. Thanks P&G for the source for them.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Schattenfreude
USDA Zone: 5b - 6a

Post by Schattenfreude »

Pia,

I may not rake too many of the leaves this year (for a change). It does save on mulch and the plants are filling in so much, that you don't see too much of the ground between the plants anyways. Raking the oak leaves, then shredding them and finally returning them to the beds would be ideal, but I don't see myself having that much time this spring. Time will tell...

I've seen those hose stakes and actually have a couple. I really ought to buy a few more, I guess.... or simply invest in a bunch of dripper hoses. <g>

I'm so jealous of all of those beauiful pine needles, Karma! Wanna trade??

Kevin in KC
paul_in_mn
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by paul_in_mn »

I switched to Kincaid stainless steel labels - a little pricier than zinc, but much more heavy duty. You won't be disappointed. First saw these in vending at the 2010 AHS Convention and in also in one of the tour gardens. I made the switchover for new plants and when replacing my damaged zinc labels. Here's a pic with a tz Brothers label applied - #1 and #2 are zinc; Kincaids are # 3.

http://www.kincaidgardens.com/

Paul

Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Paul those look great, might have to rethink my stakes!

Kevin come on out and bring your truck!! We took off 8-32 gallons of just pine needles and 2-32 gallon of just the male parts last year alone from the
back. Then yesterday one of my stupid neighbors blew out his yard and put it into the street and blew it down to in front of our yard. Needless to say
I don't have pines for a reason!! The mess went back to where it came and I don't want it in the yard, can't afford if with all the stuff I have to use to sweeten up the
acidy soils. I can't grow some of my tropicals with that soil, it makes them looking so bad mineral deficient. I have even noticed this in some of the hostas.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

If you live in a northern clime where occasional use of salt on the driveway is a necessity (it's sloped and I have music students), zinc labels will be toast in no time at all.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

I put in all Kincaid labels last summer. Definitely an investment, but one that will last.
New Topic Post Reply