Planting in a concrete block?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
boops
USDA Zone: 6b

Planting in a concrete block?

Post by boops »

A month or so back someone posted a photo of mini hosta planted in the space of a concrete block. I was wondering how it was done and how to stop soil from leaching out from the bottom?
My Hosta List

Do one thing everyday that makes you happy
rufie98
USDA Zone: 6

Re: Planting in a concrete block?

Post by rufie98 »

Hi Boops. Put in "concrete" in the search area and it will bring you to postings about cement blocks. I did that and found some earlier postings. See the one by John Polka "I'll never think the same about a concrete block." In that posting kaylyred posts a link and in that link there is a site mentioned by gesila9 that you might be looking for. It is http://sunnyslifeinrehab.blogspot.com/2 ... armed.html. Hope that it is what you are looking for.
boops

Post by boops »

Thanks I will look into it right now. I have a couple of really nice blocks I am putting in my New little zen garden that will have mini hosta and some low growing plants and I have just ordered a Buddha for atop of taller blocks. Probably won't be finished till next spring. Wish I had a little water garden area, but not possible without electric for a recirculating pump.
My Hosta List

boops

Post by boops »

Just checked out that link you gave me, I love it. although mine will not be that large, I got the idea. Going to try and find those aluminum pans for drainage at Lowes today. Thanks for the idea!! I did put cement in search engine but did not see anything from John Polka there. Will research further. :beer:
My Hosta List

gesila9
USDA Zone: 5

Post by gesila9 »

Hi Boops,

Here's how I used concrete blocks to plant some mini hostas:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54895

Gesila
boops

Post by boops »

Very cool! Although mine will be much smaller, I will be moving the blocks around to get the right look then glue them together and look into which mini's I want to put in them. I thought a couple of yellows and a couple of variegated and put some larger ones in the ground. Will post when finished. Thanks for the ideas.
My Hosta List

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

gesila9, do you have a photo of what it looks like planted?
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
New Topic Post Reply