Special Day

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Re: Special Day

Post by ViolaAnn »

Time to ask, maybe.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

Tigger, those plants I registered are things I have been posting here over the years like Aurora's Glow a Gold Standard sport - http://www.perennialnursery.com/forums/ ... =1&t=54689:
Aurora's Glow
Aurora's Glow
And Dubious Behavior a sport of Hanky Panky - http://www.perennialnursery.com/forums/ ... =1&t=54441:
Dubious Behavior
Dubious Behavior
A couple of "greens":
Take the Green Path - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54795
Dusty Moon - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52951

A "yellow":
Trisha's Sunny Paradise - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53400

And a sport of Gypsy Rose that I have shown pictures of with other plants but never focused on:
http://www.perennialnursery.com/forums/ ... 71#p479171
http://www.perennialnursery.com/forums/ ... 92#p485992
http://www.perennialnursery.com/forums/ ... =1&t=56330
So here is Orange Rose:
Orange Rose - May 3, 2012
Orange Rose - May 3, 2012
Orange Rose - June 18, 2012
Orange Rose - June 18, 2012
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Well, I asked about the Hosta Journal and got this response -
I double checked with our mailer for International mailings and they responded with the following:
They use a service to handle international mailings. This company keeps up-to-date on the regulations, etc. For Canadian addresses, the mail was driven into Canada and dropped there. It takes longer for it to process. It goes to their clearing and processing. Then it trucks to Canada – has to clear customs then on to the Canadian post for sorting like here.

So you see it is sent bulk but takes longer.

I will look into the process further to see if there is anything we can do to speed it up without costing us more postage.
Personally, I would be willing to pay a small additional fee to cover the cost of mailing it from source. Two years ago, when I was a brand new member, I had some interest in attending the convention, but received the winter/spring issue AFTER the deadline for applications. Since I had joined around Christmas time, I didn't know about it in advance.

Ann
Ann
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

And the extra cost of mailing two issues from source should be less than $5 each.
Ann
rufie98
USDA Zone: 6

Post by rufie98 »

Thanks Ann for looking into what has happened to our copy of The Journal. I too would be willing to pay a little more to get The Journal sooner.
rufie98
USDA Zone: 6

Post by rufie98 »

I got my first Journal today! It looks lovely. Hope everyone else has gotten theirs too.
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

Okay, special day again!! Got my shipment from Chris today!! And my bonus is 'Pot of Gold'. Perfect,I have very few gold hosta and this one looks pretty wild! I love it, Thank you Chris. I have stuff coming up in my trees but we are having up and down weather. I am thinking PoG might be good in a pot on my back deck, which gets morning sun and afternoon shade.( and the 'pot' part is fitting too!!! :lol:
Lovin' the great northwest!
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

The other Hosta I got from Chris were H.Neptune, H. Afterglow, H. Lionheart and H. Climax. They are for Lew's Memory Garden. The Neptune one is because he crossed the Equater for the first time when he was just barely 18, and the Navy made a big deal out of it, You had crossed into the domain of Neptunus Rex. and there were ceremonies ( I am not sure what kind) and you had certificates to prove it. I have all the papers that got him out of the Navy, no small job. It was alot easier to get in in 1943. The other Hosta, well you can make what you will out of them. But I am having a ball putting this book together for his Great Grandkids .
Lovin' the great northwest!
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

My Journal arrived yesterday. Finally!
Ann
thy

Post by thy »

Great hostas Rosemarie :D

Ann, sometimes my Journal is mailed out of New Zeeland. :o .... have to be the cheapest way even it is hard to understand.. US... New Zeeland... Denmark :hmm:
Years ago I got mine before everyone... strange too :hmm:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
jarih
USDA Zone: 5

Post by jarih »

Hello Thy, I saw you have written about Hosta Danica Poul. Is it worth buying? I think this is difficult because maybe all of us are hostaholics in this forum and almost every hosta is nice or in wish list... So: is it worth 150 dkk and no hvx. I haven't find any picture - Do you have?
Best regards for everyone from snowy Finland :frosty:
thy

Post by thy »

Hej Jarih
Welcome to the forums, hope you will enjoy it here :D

Danica Poul is special. It is a medium/large so far :wink: Yellow turning chartreuse or apple green later, but the interesting is every vein have a patern going out from the vein like the central of a feather¨, sort of very, very fine green stripes in the yellow color. It is a good grower but a very slow starter -all are OS. Some sun will help.

It do have a sort of funny story. It is a seedling given to my friends by a Danish man named Poul. First time I saw it was the summer when I have yelled HVX as loud as I could and he told me it was a no name and he would dig it up and burn it due to some strange lines on the leaves... At that time we saw HVX everywhere, but the lines only went one way so I asked him if it was possible to let it be and see what happened, No digging around, - thinking it as a study in HVX but was not sure. Next year it had more lines but did not look like HVX, the year after it was a lovely hosta and we started to talk about it, the next year Marco got it tested´and no HVX found.

Is 20€ a fair price... I do not know, but I do not think it will be cheaper with in the next years
I kow I have a pic, but can't find it ... I will call around and find one for you :wink:

Where are you living ?

Pia
jarih

Post by jarih »

Hello Pia
Thank you for reply and information. After reading your post I ordered two Hostas D P. :D I live in Jyväskylä, central part of Finland. Under 40 cm of snow I have about 300 hostas. This amount of snow in April is a record. :x My hostas are mostly from Franzén and Jan van den Top. Last summer I visited also in Hostahave.
Waiting for D P and I promise to take a picture and share it ..
Jari
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Welcome jarih.

I look forward, someday, to visiting more of Finland. Have been to Helsinki area a couple of times as my DH was awarded an honorary doctorate by the Technical University in Espoo some years ago and we've also attended a conference there. Have enjoyed my visits, but they've been limited to the Helsinki area.
Ann
thy

Post by thy »

Hello Jarih.

I have looked and looked, can't find the good pic. I have an ugly pic from the first year when we thought about dig it for the garbage bin, 2 and a half leaves but it do show the stripes... tell me if you want it :lol:
Victoria from this forum is Finnish spoken.
I have looked for years for a Finnish hosta called Niko, do you know anything about it ?

Snow is gone in my garden but still there in a lot of other places, spring is so slow this year
Sending a PM for you :wink:

Pia
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
jarih

Post by jarih »

I haven't seen Niko here in Finland and it is not available at any nursery. But maybe I have it in my garden. About four years ago my Hyacinthina started to make streked leafs. I have a picture but I must 'test and learn' how to send them in this forum.
Jari
New Topic Post Reply