Back from a terrific visit to Hosta College

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Back from a terrific visit to Hosta College

Post by Chris_W »

Got back late last night after a really wonderful visit to Hosta College. I've been going for years, and this year they really did a great job. Even though there were last minute class cancellations everyone came together great and kept smiling through the whole day. Bob Sinke did a terrific job running the show and Sandy Wilkins had a really nice presentation at the banquet.

I sat in on a talk about Cypripediums, a talk about exotic pests and diseases, and a talk from a company that creates worm castings by feeding worms compost and horse manure and then selling the material left behind after they are done eating it all. I really thought the worm castings talk was very interesting. Though the speaker (and one of the owners) was clearly not used to speaking, was very quiet and not too sure of himself, he got through it and did a great job. I learned a lot. Ralph Heiden talked about exotic pests, but just skimmed the surface and really didn't have enough time to get into anything that much. I took away a couple bits of info that I thought were interesting, such as why we have elm trees here that always seem to die when they get between 1 to 2 feet in diameter (the beetle larva that carries Dutch Elm Disease can't feed completely through the bark until the trees are more mature) and learned how Southeast Michigan was ground zero for Emerald Ash Borer and it spread to my area by firewood being brought by campers visiting the Michigan International Speedway nearby. The talk about Cypripediums (lady slippers) showed lots of pretty pictures but didn't really help teach us how to grow them, so of the classes I went to, this one really wasn't that great. The speaker asked how many people grew lady slippers, then asked how many people have killed them, and when all of the same people kept their hands up he said "Yup, that's about right." What I did take away from this is that Cypripediums have adapted to very specific growing conditions by species, and not so much as a genus, so not all are created equal. Hostas are like that too, but are more forgiving, so we don't worry about it so much, but with lady slippers, one might be native to an alkaline fen while another is native to an acidic bog and they simply won't grow well outside their natural conditions. I figured this out on my own, though, after searching for more information on my computer after the class was over.

My other two periods I talked to groups about Hosta Virus X and hopefully people were able to get some good information from my talk :)

Any other reports from Hosta College? Mary, Paul, Lynn, Ed, Ann (did I miss anyone else)? Let us know how it went :D

Chris
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Back from a terrific visit to Hosta College

Post by redcrx »

I got back home about 2 PM yesterday - about 10 hour trip depending on how may stops you make on the turnpike. I was watching a storm track to the south of us en-route - might get snow today. We were on vacation since the previous Saturday:
Fayettville, NC for 3 days (family birthday and see my wife's mom) and saw the Cape Fear Botanical Garden http://www.capefearbg.org/ beautiful Camillas in flower.
Ashville, NC for 3 days to see Biltmore http://www.biltmore.com/ - I have been trying to get there for years. It's out-of-season for the gardens but the conservatory is nice. And the "house" is unreal.
The came up to Hosta College on Friday - only about 7 and half hours from Ashville.

Had a great time at Hosta College - this was my third time. At the Friday night auction I won the two plants I was after - Blue Lightning and King Tut for only $15 each. The Blue Lightning wasn't showing any streaking so nobody wanted to take a chance on it. The King Tut wasn't up yet so you couldn't see what it looks like.

Didn't get to Chris's talk but I have seen it my previous two years.

Went to two of Tom Michelletties talks - Hostas in the Landscape and Overview Hosta Species. I always enjoy his talks - good information, lots of pictures. A topic came about "sporting" and how to get the sport to develop. He described a method for forcing the plant to push energy into the sport that I had never considered - cut all the leaves off the normal plant so the roots push all the growing power into remaining leaves which are only the sport's leaves. So instead of digging the whole plant up and separating the sport off which can be dangerous to the sport let it grow - you would eventually take the sport off later in the season when it would be a good sized plant.

Jim Swartz - New Hosta Varieties
He went over some research he had done on various catalog listings that describe "New" hostas - where the word "New" means new to the seller or catalog but not new to the hosta world. It was pointed out by someone in the audience that "availability" also enters into the concept of "New" - where a plant may be available to hosta clubs but not to the general public through a catalog. That type of plant would be truly new to the public but may have been in your garden for a year or two.
He brought some samples from his vendor tables. I bought Fashionista.

Bob Solberg - Advanced Hosta Hybridizing
Bob gave a talk on marketing hosta, getting into contract arraignments with TC labs, naming hosta, lots of the things he deals with as he develops and promotes his hosta.

Jeff Miller - Giantland Hybridizing
Jeff talked about his love of GIANT hosta and his crosses to get giant hosta. He showed pictures of the thousands of seedlings he develops every year and the thousands he culls looking for the "best of the best" hosta. He also had the highest bids in the Friday night auction where Indiana Bob was auctioning some of his BIG hosta crosses. Jeff was looking for more genetic material for his program.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Just checking in and yes, had a great time at Hosta College. I brought along my friend Donna and she really enjoyed it too. She attended for the first time and was really impressed with everything. We enjoyed vending and the auction Friday night. Then looked forward to Saturdays classes.

For first period Joseph Tychonievich of Arrowhead Alpines talked about "Getting Started with Rock Gardening." Other than being a little nervous and forgetting his handouts, it was a pretty good intro to the types of plants you could begin with.

Second period Donna McMillan showed us how to make mushrooms out of hypertufa, learned great techniques and it was fun. I always enjoy the classes where you get to make stuff. Now if I can just wait the four weeks without peeking into the sealed plastic bag like I'm supposed to, they should be okay. It's going to be tough...

We enjoyed a great lunch for third period.

Fourth period Ruth Sny gave an enjoyable presentation on "Color in the Shade." We received a nice handout and viewed a slide show of examples from her own garden and gardens she had visited.

Fifth period the always enjoyable Oscar Cross spoke on Heuchera and Hellebores. I learned that I've been misprounouncing "Heuchera" for a very long time, DOH!

Ralph Heiden wrapped up our last class talking about growing hostas in containers. I've never sat in one of Ralph's talks and have him finish...I'm just sayin'. Pretty much the same experience as Chris, just skimmed the surface.

Chris, I took the class on Cypripediums a few years back and felt the same way. I have to say I've had success with his method of growing them in pots. I had three blooms last year.

It was great to see old friends and meet new ones. Ed, sorry I missed you. I wanted to say hello to Jeff Miller too, but just didn't have an opportunity. Oh well, hopefully next year.

Really enjoyed Sandy Wilkin's presentation at the banquet, it was fun to see where and how it all began.
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Sounds like a lot of fun... green with envy here :(

A bit sad we do not have anything here in Europe. Think it would be possible in a big city with lots of airlines coming and going and something else to see but our societies are bound to all the small countries and do not cooperate .. so I keep dreaming and read what all of you tells me ... Thank you :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I was sorry to have to miss it this year. Paul, what did you find to talk about at hostatality without the 'moo crew'? I'm glad you were able to bring a friend, and sure would like to have met her!
We were on our way back from an extended winter visit to Texas, and got home Tuesday evening. John wants to go back earlier next year and stay longer, so I don't know if I'll ever get to attend hosta college again. That's a sad thought!
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
pauhaus

Post by pauhaus »

Linda, glad to hear you and John were able to get away, hopefully it was warmer there than at home. No more Hosta College for you?? That is a sad thought! No moo crew this year, you were all missed, hostatality was just not the same without moo. :D
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
Lessadragon

Post by Lessadragon »

I really enjoyed my trip to Hosta College this year. The classes I attended were very good. I do agree with Chris on the Cypripedium class. I learned that I really don't care to spend the money to try to grow them. I have enough addictions here as it is. :lol: How did everyone like the dinner? I enjoyed the salad, but unfortunately did not get to stay for the rest of it due to a medical emergency. I guess you can't even take the nurse out of me when I am away from it. :roll: :lol: It was so good to see some old friends. Wish I could have visited with you longer Chris. Paul, I hope I can wait to peek at my mushrooms as well. The first thing Art did when I got home was to open the box and look. Sheesh!!! Anne (Imagooch) came with me on her first Hosta College weekend and I know she had a great time too. Our weather was perfect for the drive both ways. Linda, it will be hard not seeing you at College any more. Hopefully you will be able to get to one every now and then.
Lynn
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Lynne! Were you helping with the emergency, or were you the one who had the emergency? I heard about that from someone who was there.
Maybe at some point I will get back again. I'll have to see what I can do.....can't stand the thought of never going to HC again! Will have to try to talk John into going earlier and coming home earlier next year so I can do both.
Sure missed the chance to see all of you!
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Lessadragon

Post by Lessadragon »

Linda, I was helping with it. Hopefully John will let you talk him into changing plans every now and then. It is so nice to see people that you would not get a chance to see otherwise!

Lynn
New Topic Post Reply