Got some new hostas at Menards

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
FreakyCola
USDA Zone: 5

Got some new hostas at Menards

Post by FreakyCola »

Okay even though I promised myself I would not buy anymore hostas until I get all the ones from the last hmmmmmm 5? years planted, I just had to buy four I saw at Menards. It's still cold here and we just got a big snowfall but you know, when you see the first Hosta of the season you just can't help it! Am I right?????

So I bought a Frozen Margarita, a Blue Flame, an American Halo which I may already have and this crazy streaked "Blue Flame".

You can imagine my surprise when I spied the hostas. But then, sitting in the middle of all those tall Blue Flames,was this short hosta with small leaves with a very full pot and half of the pot is streaked! I was sure I was hallucinating! So instead I did the happy hosta dance & came home a happy but poorer camper.

Oh well such is life!
Ellen
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: Got some new hostas at Menards

Post by Tigger »

Nice finds. 'Blue Flame' is one of the hostas our local society will be selling in 2 weeks. Having a streaked one would be great. 'Fragrant Blue' has been used as pod parent for a few hostas (e.g. 'Conquistador') so a streaked 'Blue Flame' might yield some nice babies.
FreakyCola
USDA Zone: 5

Post by FreakyCola »

Hi Tigger Nice to hear from you again!
The streaked one is definitely not a blue flame. It has a small leaves about the size of golden tiara
I don't know what it is but I'm just a sucker for anything streaked.
I put my new hostas on the basement landing, forgot they were there and let my cats into the basement. Then I forgot the cats were down there and left them in the basement all night & woke up to find a lot of eaten leaves. Cat bites look a lot like slug holes. :wink: sure hope they aren't
poisonous.
Elleni
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

LOL Not poisonous to humans...

Fact you can easily bye new hostas without feeling bad at all, they are eatable, so if everything turn wrong, we can eat parts of our hostas :beer:

And a streaked... what ever hosta in your first spring buy... Wish it was me :wink:
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply