One Eyed Empress Wu

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

One Eyed Empress Wu

Post by ogrefcf »

So I bought a EW about 5-6 years ago in a 4" pot I think. I have moved it a couple times, but it's been in it's current spot for about two years. It was moved the same time as a Sagae I bought from Chris. The two were re planted by each other and were around the same size. Now the problem is the EW has always had just one eye. The Sagae from Chris already has four good sized pips coming up. I have several other Hostas I bought at the same time as the EW, Blue Angel and Sum and substance, that have over 30 eyes and are over 4'. I guess my question is, is it time to dig the thing up and throw it away. I hear EW is a pretty good grower. Did I get one that's stuck on one eye or should I give it another year? I guess with as cold as it's been it still might be a bit early and it could possibly put up more eyes. Thanks
Owen
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: One Eyed Empress Wu

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

If other plants around it are doing well, I would just give it some more time. Empress Wu puts down some very deep roots, so moving it around might set it back a little. And while I've also heard that it is a good grower, I've never really seen it as a fast multiplier. I have a few 5 year old Empress Wu that are finally putting out 2 or 3 eyes now, but the 2 and 3 and 4 year olds are all just singles that are progressively bigger.

Hopefully there are some more eyes down under the ground that you just aren't seeing yet, and even if not, hopefully that single eye is getting really big for you.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Hmmmm Sometimes they just think one eye is enough and stay at that level for years and years. My first h.Sagae did it, it helped when I gave up an bought 2 more Sagae's and Liberty did it too, then my patience stopped and I stomped it in the spring - after 2 weeks I had several nice eyes :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

Thnaks! I'll wait and be patient.
Owen
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

My Empress Wu is also 5 years old this year. It was just one eye until last year, when it had 2 or maybe 3. I don't have any hostas up yet, so I don't know how it's doing this year. Most of the really giant hostas in my garden have been like this. I remember watching Elatior for at least 5 years, wondering if it was ever going to get to be even a medium sized hosta. Then one year I had to move 5 or 6 other hostas that surrounded it because it became a monster. I'm guessing that Empress Wu will be the same. When she does take off for you, you may have to move your house. :lol:
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
paul_in_mn
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by paul_in_mn »

Guess I should feel fortunate - planted a 1-eye Wu in 2011 and came up 3 eyes in 2012. Just assumed this is normal.
Paul

Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow.
gesila9
USDA Zone: 5

Post by gesila9 »

Me too Paul. I bought mine in the fall of 2010, it had 9 eyes in 2012. As I recall, it took over took weeks for all 9 eyes to come up. So far, it has 9 this year, but they are nice and plump, I'm thinking more will come up as the weather warms up.

The one I'm growing in full sun has 12 eyes this year, but they are not as plump as the one that only gets morning sun.
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

I'll give it some more time. It has gotten bigger each year.

Here's some pictures of other that are close by and planted at the same time.
Liberty 4 eyes. Sorry about the plastic. Didn't notice it while taking pictures.

Sagae 4 eyes

And Wu
Owen
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

Owen, an Empress Wu with an eye patch on? Sorry, my imagination runs away with me sometimes! :D
Lovin' the great northwest!
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

rosemarie wrote:Owen, an Empress Wu with an eye patch on? Sorry, my imagination runs away with me sometimes! :D
That gave me a good laugh! Love it.
Owen
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

I fixed it! My Wu should do much better now.

Owen
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

Owen, I cracked up! That is great!!
Lovin' the great northwest!
gesila9

Post by gesila9 »

Owen, here's a picture of my Empress Wu planted in the fall of 2010 that I took today. I counted 10 eyes. When I compared mine to yours, I noticed that mine was planted deeper than yours. I'm wondering if that's why yours is staying a one eyed wonder.

Gesila
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I have a thought about the lack of growth on mine and Owen's. 5 years ago Empress Wu was pretty new on the market. I know that mine was a very small, just out of tissue culture liner size plant. I did not put it in the nursery bed, which I usually do with liners. I just planted it out (not in the best soil in my garden) and did not give it any special attention. If we let the pros (like Hallsons!) take care of them for a couple of years first, they'll be much more vigorous and ready to grow when we plant them out in our own gardens.

Ro, you always crack me up with your sense of humor. Good one!!!!

My Hosta List
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

Linda P wrote:I have a thought about the lack of growth on mine and Owen's. 5 years ago Empress Wu was pretty new on the market. I know that mine was a very small, just out of tissue culture liner size plant. I did not put it in the nursery bed, which I usually do with liners. I just planted it out (not in the best soil in my garden) and did not give it any special attention. If we let the pros (like Hallsons!) take care of them for a couple of years first, they'll be much more vigorous and ready to grow when we plant them out in our own gardens.

Ro, you always crack me up with your sense of humor. Good one!!!!
I think you're right Linda. I forget the plants I get from Chris are raised by the best and well taken care of. This was one of the first Hostas I planted and it's been through a lot. I'll be patient and give it some time.
Owen
gesila9

Post by gesila9 »

If it's still one eye next year Owen, I would plant it deeper.
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

I went out to add some dirt around and while doing so I found another eye coming up. Guess I just need a little more patience :lol: .
Owen
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I went and checked on mine Friday, and it's got at least 8 eyes this year, probably a few more that have not come up yet. I think it's on the way. Hope yours gets going soon Owen.

My Hosta List
boops
USDA Zone: 6b

Post by boops »

My empress Wu 3rd year in my garden

My Hosta List

Do one thing everyday that makes you happy
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

Gesila, thanks for the advice. It was in a little indent so I put some more dirt around it and brought the level up. Hoping next year is a good one.
Owen
New Topic Post Reply