What's with my Great Expections?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
rufie98
USDA Zone: 6

What's with my Great Expections?

Post by rufie98 »

This year GE added a few extra pips. It was great seeing that! But then, when they began unfurling, I noticed that it had one large eye that was not variegated. (I grow it in a pot.) So I did some forum searching and decided that it was best to remove the large pip. And that was what I did. I wanted to remove more of the base of that pip, but found it difficult with the other pips around it, so I gave up on that. What is a mystery to me is how it became to be such a large eye without me noticing it last year. So did I make a mistake by removing it? Will it regrow? Is that a common thing? Was it possibly sieboldiana Elegans that I removed?

Also, I noticed that the yellow center that it emerged with is now somewhat greenish yellow. Even my two Junes (in more sun) which were also yellow centered, have a greenish case to them. Anyone know what that means? Not enough sun?

Here is a picture I took May 7th, 2013.

thy
USDA Zone: 7

Re: What's with my Great Expections?

Post by thy »

You handled it perfectly.
If it regrow ? Maybe, then remove it again :wink:

Not enough sun or perfect sun ? It is all up to you and your taste.
If you plant a row of June separated by one foot each of them getting just a bit more sun... you will have a row of different looking hostas. Personally I prefere h. June in the shade.

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
rufie98

Post by rufie98 »

Thanks Pia. I thought it best to remove the unvariegated pip as soon as possible, so that the rest of the plant could fill in properly as it grew.

You may be right about not enough sun. I am hoping that the GE will turn more yellow in the center again, but I am not sure that is possible now.

I don't have a lot of sun at my home because of trees, so I thought I would locate a couple of Junes in a sunnier location to see what they would look like. I always easily have the option to have them in the shade. It is harder for me to find a place in the sun for those hostas that require more sun.
rufie98

Re: What's with my Great Expectations?

Post by rufie98 »

Just used this post to try to correct the spelling of GE!
Schattenfreude
USDA Zone: 5b - 6a

Post by Schattenfreude »

Those leaves are gorgeous, Rufie. I'd say, you're doing everything right! I wouldn't change a thing.

Kevin in KC
rufie98

Post by rufie98 »

Thank you for your kind words Kevin.
New Topic Post Reply