Hosta ID?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
sweetee
USDA Zone: 5

Hosta ID?

Post by sweetee »

close up
close up
unknown
unknown
Hi, Does anyone know who this might be? May be difficult to ID before it blooms, but just thought I'd ask. I found this at a local nursery who grow some of their own hosta. Of course, none of them are labeled. The mother plant looks different than the new division. The photo doesn't do it justice. If you click on the pics you can see a bit larger version. The new division looks almost streaky and faded. And yes, I am going to divide them in their own pots. Any ideas? Thanks :D
viktoria

Re: Hosta ID?

Post by viktoria »

'Alligator Shoes' came immediately to mind but I have not yet convinced myself. If out of that you got AS streaked, you are fortunate.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Hosta ID?

Post by redcrx »

I was thinking it looks like my montana Ginrei but without the "blue". viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56736

But Viktoria you are right - it does look like AS.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55324
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46504
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
sweetee
USDA Zone: 5

Re: Hosta ID comparison to Pizzazz

Post by sweetee »

Pizzazz/unknown comparison
Pizzazz/unknown comparison
Hi, I went out in the yard to compare it to hostas I own. This will also give you an idea of size. In the picture, Pizzazz is on the left, the unknown hosta on the right. The streaky offset/sport is on the bottom. I am glad I divided this hosta. When I went out to repot, a lot of the roots dropped off and were collapsed. The soil looked like mud. I lost almost all of the roots on the sport, and only a piece of the crown. No crown rot though. Five hours later and so far no wilting. If this blooms, I'll post pics. Thanks :D
New Topic Post Reply