Companion Shrub?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
grendelsma
USDA Zone: 6b

Companion Shrub?

Post by grendelsma »

I have a small hosta garden (that I'm hoping to expand!). At the moment, it is adjacent to a row of arbor vitae that provide a privacy screen between my yard and our busy street. I am not a fan of the arbor vitae, because they block too much airflow into the yard, and I prefer evergreen shrubs with leaves rather than needles. So, I'm planning to replace that with a different kind of privacy screen. Do you all have suggestions for something that won't be in competition with my hostas? Or, should I resign myself to getting a fence in that location?

Thanks for taking the time with this new gardener. I hope I'm not cluttering up this informative board!
kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Re: Companion Shrub?

Post by kaylyred »

Welcome to the forums! It's like kindergarten here--there's no such thing as a dumb question, and please don't ever think that you're "cluttering" the board by asking something we will likely all learn from. :)

When you said evergreen, with leaves instead of needles, the first thing that jumped to my mind was boxwood. I don't grow them, myself, but I know that other hosta people do. I'm sure someone with more firsthand experience will have some great answers for you.
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

I'd say Rhododendron.
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Sun or shade? Or where are you? Welcome!! We here in the Pacific Northwest have Hydrangea in our shade garden. Not a pine lover either.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
grendelsma
USDA Zone: 6b

Post by grendelsma »

Thanks for the ideas and the cordial welcome.

Boxwood and rhododendron are good ideas. I'm in NE Pennsylvania, and this area of my yard is part shade. I do love hydrangeas, and I think they would grow well there, but they wouldn't give me any privacy from the road in the winter. I live in a 100-year-old farmhouse, which is only a few feet back from the road in what is now a fairly busy urban neighborhood. So, I do want some protection from the traffic and privacy from passers-by, but maybe not such a thick wall as the arbor vitae give.

Thanks again.
NancyL

Post by NancyL »

I would agree with hydrangeas - especially when you need privacy cover. They do that really well. If you want some more structure, height and flowers, Kolkwitizia is nice too. It grows pretty quickly and is easy care, a pruning every few years to increase blooming. Bloom length is dependent on heat - they are lasting well this spring. This was taken yesterday. It can take 50-60% shade. The hostas are Komodos and Abbys.
Attachments
Kolkwitzia and Komodos
Kolkwitzia and Komodos
The kiss of the sun for pardon
The song of the birds for mirth
One is nearer God's heart in the garden
Than anywhere on earth
Doris Frances Gurney "Garden Thoughts"
Schattenfreude
USDA Zone: 5b - 6a

Post by Schattenfreude »

I'm not sure you can have your cake and eat it, too.

Personally, I'd much prefer the privacy afforded by the arborvitae hedge year-round than an increase in air circulation, especially if a busy street were present.

Kevin in KC
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Welcome to the forums :D

I do not know for your area, but here all boxwoods are facing a new fungus illness - Cylindrocladium buxicola and the new small plants have it too.

If I understand you correct you want somthing evergreen with leaves :-?

Rhododendron are nice but take up a lot of space.
A fence do not take much space and you can plant right up against it, but it will not protect you against the noise as much as the arborvitae or similar.

Sorry, no good ideas

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:hmm: What about a fence with ivy... not the poisionous one ... the other :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Eleven
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by Eleven »

I inherited yards with lots of full grown Rhododendrons, azaleas, and evergreens that provide buffering. Dividing the front and back yards is a rhodie wall, then chain fence (previous homeowners had dogs), and then evergreen shrubbery (boxwoods?). The back is finished with rhodies and then a wooden privacy fence. We have a wonderful sense of privacy with no loss of airflow. Of course, whatever you choose will be limited by your space.
~Shawna
New Topic Post Reply