Jewel of the Nile (reverting)

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
rufie98
USDA Zone: 6

Jewel of the Nile (reverting)

Post by rufie98 »

I am confused! I understand from reading past threads that this hosta is well known to revert to Dee's Golden Jewel. So I figured that if I had an eye or two that had reverted, I would separate it from my Jewel of the Nile. Here is the confusion and the problem---I only have one eye---so my Jewel of the Nile is now exactly half Dee's Golden Jewel and half Jewel of the Nile! Is this strange? Has everyone else had multiple eyes and been able to remove their Dee's Golden Jewel? What do you predict will happen with mine? I do love the coloration of Jewel of the Nile and would be disappointed if it "disappeared."
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Jewel of the Nile (reverting)

Post by redcrx »

Chris has talked about this in past topics where a plant is two-sided. As the crown forms new eyes those on the "Jewel" side will be "Jewel" and those on the "Dee's Golden" side will be "Dee's Golden". I had a Gold Standard form a Moonlight that way.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
paul_in_mn
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by paul_in_mn »

You have a built in discussion topic for anyone visiting your garden. Not much you can do till it adds divisions.
Paul

Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow.
rufie98

Post by rufie98 »

Redcrx--- thanks for letting me know. I find that very interesting---that a plant can be two sided. I am glad that you remembered what Chris had said. Now I can add to my knowledge. Should be interesting to see what happens next year.

Paul_in_mn--- I think you are right about it becoming a discussion topic. So far I haven't had any visitors, but my family is already getting an earful about it (from me!).
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I have had 2 - a Gold Standard and a First Frost. I showed photos a few years ago.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53129&hilit=+gold+standard

Here are the sports this season.
Gold Standard sport:
"Stephanie in Moonlight" - May 17, 2013
"Stephanie in Moonlight" - May 17, 2013
First Frost sport (the rabbits have been eating it):
"Gift of Frost" - April 25, 2013
"Gift of Frost" - April 25, 2013
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
rufie98

Post by rufie98 »

That's amazing Redcrx! Thank you for those photos! If someone would have told me about this I would have thought they were pulling my leg! The link was very helpful. I especially like the last photo with not only half of one kind of hosta and half of another, but two of the leaves are half of one and half of the other. That's really something.
jgh

Post by jgh »

Jewel of the Nile is the most variable hosta in my collection. It throws solid eyes - and not just gold... sometimes green... and half-and-half leaves and streaky leaves... and it changes during the season - mine is only unfurling now here in Minnesota and it's colors are muted and subtle. Some years I've thought the plant would lose its character and go solid - made plans to split it, like I would with other streakers that are stabilizing - only to have it come back the next year with lots of marking.

I like Paul's idea... it is a discussion plant... a good one to demonstrate just how goofy hostas can be!
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I resent that - how can you call hostas "goofy". That's a beloved Disney character. Hosta are fickle. They are like cats - they do whatever they want. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I have three JotN plants. One is almost all gold now, and the other two vary with the year. I haven't really looked at them yet this year, but I've given up on trying to keep a plant that is all JotN. People do often notice it and ask "What is going on with that plant?"
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
rufie98

Post by rufie98 »

My first impression of this plant was that it was a really lovely hosta. I loved the two tone colors on each leaf. Then this year I was very disappointed to see that only half the plant was Jewel of the Nile---and worried that I was losing the "Jewel of the Nile" part. If I could choose, I would probably wish it to be three quarters Jewel of the Nile and one quarter Dee's Golden Jewel. But I cannot.

It sounds like this hosta is going to be more "work" than the other hostas I have, that is, if I want to remove the Dee's Golden Jewel eyes. (And I am hoping that I will actually get multiple eyes next year so that I can do this!) So after my initial confusion about what was going on with this plant, I still think I am still going to like it! Who knows, I may just get the three quarter/one quarter combination that I would like one day.

Thanks jgh and Linda for letting me know all the changes you have experienced with this particular hosta. It gives me an idea of what I could expect.

I think of this hosta as "interesting and unique."
irawon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by irawon »

Rufie, I had a Fire and Ice that sported solid green eyes. I separated the eyes and planted the division in another location. The following year they turned into Fire and Ice again,

My Brother Stefan developed green leaves last summer. I removed the green leaves above the crown. This year BS has its character back.
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

My JOTN had reverted to lots of yellow. Looked really pretty, but I decided I should do something about it; so last autumn, I dug it and separated out all of the yellow eyes. Most of them are still yellow, I think, though in this cold, dark spring, they've not turned very yellow yet. But one definitely has some of the JOTN colouring as well.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
New Topic Post Reply