Favorite Hosta Groupings

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Favorite Hosta Groupings

Post by kaylyred »

Every now and then you come across a group of hostas in your garden that looks especially nice together. Let's share some photos of our favorite groupings!

Here's a favorite area of my garden, right by my front door. This is 'Regal Splendor' and 'Roy Klehm.' In its fourth season, 'Roy Klehm' finally really took off for me, going from a single eye to six. I think it makes a nice impact this year! :D

~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
Noreaster

Re: Favorite Hosta Groupings

Post by Noreaster »

Pretty combo, Karen!

I just swapped out El Nino for First Frost in this bed. El Nino has been a bit of a dud for me but First Frost has been growing well. The other two hostas are Love Pat and Remember Me. I like that Remember Me and First Frost are reverses of each other. Sometimes I like there to be contrast, and sometimes I like to group things together that have things in common

I also like this group of three biggies together- Regal Splendor, Elegans, and Parhelion
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

I like this pair - Kiwi Full Monty and Striptease:
Kiwi Full Monty & Striptease - June 1, 2013
Kiwi Full Monty & Striptease - June 1, 2013
And this "odd" pair - Foxfire Palm Sunday and Luna Moth:
Attachments
Foxfire Palm Sunday & Luna Moth - June 1, 2013
Foxfire Palm Sunday & Luna Moth - June 1, 2013
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
kaylyred

Post by kaylyred »

Noreaster, I love how you mingled the blue tones in the hostas with the gray shades in the fern, and then have the creeping jenny for contrast. That's a striking combination!

I also like to group things together that have similarities. I have a line of hostas along my walk that all have wavy edges. The only thing I wish I hadn't done is put 'Komodo Dragon' and 'Queen of the Seas' so close together--they look a little too similar. But, at the moment, I don't want to move either of them because they're doing so nicely in their respective spots.
~ Karen

See my little hosta list
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

I'll not have time for a couple of days to resize pics small enough to post here, but I did put up a public gallery of hosta garden pics on Facebook yesterday. Some, though not all, show really nice groupings. I'm constantly reassessing how the plants look together and moved quite a few around last autumn.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 705&type=1
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Very nice groupings Karen, Noreaster and Ed!

Ann, I just viewed your link, very nice combos, your plants look very healthy!
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
Noreaster

Post by Noreaster »

Karen, thank you- I know a lot of people regard creeping Jenny as a scourge because of the rampant spreading, but I have been able to keep that patch extending no more than a foot into the bed, if that. I like it too much as a fringe up front to get rid of it. It only takes me a few minutes each month to keep it in check- advantage of a small garden, I guess!
kaylyred

Post by kaylyred »

Noreaster wrote:Karen, thank you- I know a lot of people regard creeping Jenny as a scourge because of the rampant spreading, but I have been able to keep that patch extending no more than a foot into the bed, if that. I like it too much as a fringe up front to get rid of it. It only takes me a few minutes each month to keep it in check- advantage of a small garden, I guess!
I've found it easy enough to pull up if it gets out of hand, too. I have it in some of my tiny beds up close to the street and sidewalk, where it can't really stray. Some people think it detracts from the hostas, but I kind of like it in small doses. :)
~ Karen

See my little hosta list
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Nice combos :D :D

Ed, it is the first time ever I see a Striptease and a KFM planted close together.. rather nice :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply