ID HELP

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
billfosburgh
USDA Zone: 5

ID HELP

Post by billfosburgh »

might be a challenge as i cant seem to get pics small enough to post. i have all my hosta marked but this one. i knew what it was, i think but my memory is getting so bad. its common, leaves are all dark green satiny above & glossy below, tall scapes with tons of deep purple flowers that have some white streaks on the inside. plant itself is about 12 to 14" tall. if i get a few names i will surely recognize one i think it is but i`m drawing a huge blank. thanks

EDITED BY CHRIS: Here is Bill's Hosta picture:
UnknowntoBill.jpg
And this is a picture of another plant that Bill was wondering if you could ID. It isn't a hosta, but do any of you recognize what it is?
Unknown2toBill.jpg
CCH Mt. Views Art of Deception ( Sly )
CH Andreas Crybaby Emma ( 2009 CH female UKC World Show )
CH HBCH Gotta Go Freakin Deacon
LPCH LPRCH Big Country Mo JO
jerryshenk
USDA Zone: 6a

Re: ID HELP

Post by jerryshenk »

Upload the picture to flickr, then past a link to the flickr site into the message. In Flickr, use the "BB Code" option. That lets you post a medium image on the board but, if people want more detail, they can click on the image to get access to the original image.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Take your picture and use an image editing program to make it about 10" wide at 72 dpi, then save using a medium compression setting (30 to 40%). That is a big image with good clarity online. Cameras are starting to create super resolution and huge file sizes, but people don't often know how to edit them unfortunately, so my email gets bogged down when people mail me lots of pictures at one time with questions.

If you can't figure it out, though, you can also email me a picture and I'll post it for you. It only takes a couple seconds to edit if you know the right commands in your software, so it isn't a problem to edit for you :D Email it to me at hallsons@perennialnursery.com

Then we'll all be glad to help :)
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Hosta ventricosa? Fits the description, even without a pic (but you should figure it out, 'cause we love to see pics).
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I would guess ventricosa from the description, too. I have a terrible time with resizing. I had a program with my old camera that worked very well for me, but it doesn't work with my new camera. I finally figured out how to do it a while back, and then didn't have time to continue and now I have to figure it out again. One of these days I'll have time to mess with it. Old brains don't retain that kind of information for long. :roll: :lol:
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

You guys are right on with the Hosta ID. It is Hosta ventricosa.

But do you recognize the other plant he wants to ID?
Eleven
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by Eleven »

Reminds me of a wild ginger, genus is Asarum.
~Shawna
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Ventricosa, of course.

The second plant is viola koreana 'Syletta'. You may never see the blooms (rather small) but you will find seedlings of it!

David
New Topic Post Reply