Slug and Snail Control

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
guardbear
USDA Zone: 6a

Slug and Snail Control

Post by guardbear »

I've had hostas muched on a little by snails and slugs in the past. BUT, this year they appeared particularly bad -- to the point that I actually saw several dozen (tiny ones) every morning on leaves and stems. Yuck! :( I've not found the one or two huge slugs that I had sometimes encountered for years in the yard however. Anyway I decided I needed to do some control (other than manual), so I found a product called Slug Magic which is completely safe for pets (and other critters) and can be used on fruits and veggies, etc. The active ingredient is iron phosphate and it works by attracting slugs/snails so they eat it and it subsequently causes them to stop feeding. It's a pellet form and can be placed under plants and around their hiding places at rocks and garden edging. I found it very effective -- although it does need to be reapplied depending on rainfall etc. and I've had to place it around here and there 3-4 times this year.

So, the pellets that are not ingested are biodegraded to iron and and phosphate -- both of which are plant nutirents/soil supplements of the good kind. However, I don't want tooooooo much of a good thing, i.e. I don't want to over-fertilize the plants with too much iron or phosphorus. So my question here is whether anyone else has used this product and if so, what effects if any did they observe on their plants? It's only a 1% concentration of iron phosphate, which seems pretty low, but most iron supplements are very low concentration anyway.

The same company (can I mention it here?) also makes a Bug and Slug Killer , which contains both iron phosphate and a spinosad insecticide to address cutworms, earwigs, ants, and snails and slugs. Also a VERY safe alternative to the older and nasty, nasty slug control chemicals that were highly dangerous to pets, etc. I could probably stand to do a little earwig control this year also, but so far, have just tried to ignore them. I haven't checked other companies, but if one manufacturer is using iron phosphate, then my guess is that others are also, so maybe someone out there has used another branded product that is basically the same things. Just wondering what effects the extra nutrients may be having on their hostas.

Any thoughts?
Linda P

Re: Slug and Snail Control

Post by Linda P »

Sluggo has been around for years, and is an iron phosphate product. I believe there have been some instances of dog poisonings with this, so be careful. Here's a link to a post by Bill Meyer on this forum from 2010 on the subject.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52590&p=459594&hili ... go#p459594
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Slug and Snail Control

Post by thy »

Slugo and other similar products ought to be used with sense. do not pile it up.. unhealthy for every living beast

Do not pile it up, sprinkle a few grains every few steps and repeat within a few days if needed for a start up.
Yes it need to be repeated after a rain or watering

:D Other wise... it Works great :D
Good luck

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply