Memorial Garden for my Father

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
LadyR

Memorial Garden for my Father

Post by LadyR »

My dad got me started on my hosta collection. He passed away 2 weeks ago and I want to create a memorial garden in my yard. Unfortunately, the only open spot that doesn't already have hostas in it is shaded by cedar trees. I've avoided it because I have found that not all hostas appreciate cedars. Any suggestions on which ones would work there?
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Re: Memorial Garden for my Father

Post by kHT »

So sorry for your loss. I'm also can't help ya on what to plant when it comes to hostas, I'm sure some hosta growers will be along.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Phil
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Phil »

I'm sorry for your loss. I've got huge maples in my yard, the ground is full of roots. But I love hostas, so I plant, fertilize and water and hope for the best.
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

I'm sorry for your loss and think it's a great idea to plant a memorial garden. But just one caveat, research the hosta well before you include it if you are choosing based on name. I have chosen a few based on names and then not been thrilled with the plant and they are hard to get rid of.

I've not had experience with cedars, but if the trees become a problem you could consider placing some hostas in large pots and growing them under the trees.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
New Topic Post Reply