Ancestry Info ?? for 'BC x Lazer'

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Phil_and_Gayle
USDA Zone: 5

Ancestry Info ?? for 'BC x Lazer'

Post by Phil_and_Gayle »

In 2008 we received approximately 200 hostas from the gardens of Pat Mora (who was selling her house and moving to Arizona). One of the hostas was marked and listed in her database as 'BC x Lazer.' Would anyone have an idea of who originated this hosta or any of it's ancestry? It is a very nice soft-blue w/variable narrow cream margins and purple speckles on the base of the petioles. It's approximately 24" wide and has been for the last 2-3 years, so I'm guessing that's its mature size. It blooms in late June with very few, pale purple flowers. This year only one flower scape (with one seed pod) was produced. We are curious about its background and we're also unsure what to label it. Should we keep the "BC x Lazer" for a name?

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Ancestry Info ?? for 'BC x Lazer'

Post by Chris_W »

It sounds like it is a Pat Mora seedling to me, that never got a name but was just listed by the parent plants. Unless you were to give it a name you could continue to call it by the parents, but you probably have the only one of this plant, so just name it yourself :)
Phil_and_Gayle

Post by Phil_and_Gayle »

Hi Chris. Pat received this plant from a hybridizer in 1999 but her notes didn't say who. Also, I can't find anything on a hosta named 'Lazer'. I've considered putting a tag on it calling it "Pat Mora's Lazer" but first I would really like to know who the hybridzer might have been.
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Well, there is a Hosta 'Blue Lazer' - maybe that is the pod parent?
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

BC = Breeder's Choice? (Or less likely, Breeder's Cup) that gives the variegation as pod parent, with [Blue] Lazer as pollen parent (maybe Blazer?).

Either way, it would be yours to name and register, if you want. How nice of you to take over Pat's plants!

David
Phil_and_Gayle

Post by Phil_and_Gayle »

We found out that Ron Livingston is who gave this plant to Pat and I've exchanged a couple of emails with him. The internet (forums, email, etc.) is a wonderful thing; just sprinkle a few inquiries around and in short order information comes flowing back!! In one of Ron's emails he asked "Why not name it Pat Mora?" So I think we will. We have the only plant as Ron lost the other two related plants recently. So, long story short . . . BC is breeder's choice that he crossed with a Blue Lazer. Thanks Chris and David for your input.
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

That's interesting, because I was wondering if it was a Ron Livingston plant. He had worked with Blue Lazer on some others, so that's why I was wondering if it might have been his :)
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

What a great story! So glad that you found out the background information on this plant.

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply