Any idea what this hosta is?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Eleven
USDA Zone: 6a

Any idea what this hosta is?

Post by Eleven »

I got it as Lakeside Cupcake in a trade with a bunch of other hostas last year then went immediately on vacation. When I caught up to documenting the garden, I realized that the colors were all wrong. I haven't measured it, but it's a small/medium so far. Here's how it looked last August. Oops, thought I chose a larger pic. Trying again!

Last edited by Eleven on Aug 12, 2013 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Shawna
Eleven

Re: Any idea what this hosta is?

Post by Eleven »

Here it is on June 9th this year:

Last edited by Eleven on Aug 12, 2013 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
~Shawna
Eleven

Post by Eleven »

Then blooming on July 14th:

Last edited by Eleven on Aug 12, 2013 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Shawna
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Wow, what a different hosta from Lakeside Cupcake, and what a difference a year makes. Have you asked the person you traded with what they think it might be, assuming they maybe mixed it up in their garden?

By the way, you can post much larger pictures if you want. When using the new image upload you can choose "message board" size or even larger if you wanted.

Unfortunately nothing really jumps out at me when I see this one, but maybe others will get some ideas.
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

It reminded me of Heartsong. I picked up a plant this season labeled Heartache because I liked the variegation. When I checked in the Hosta Library I found the plant I had wasn't Heartache but it matched Heartsong.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Eleven

Post by Eleven »

I did ask the trader what it could be. He'd bought it as Lakeside Cupcake :???: and gave it away to a neighbor when I pointed out the issue. He also said maybe it could be Wolverine? Uhm, no, the leaves aren't long enough. The leaves also don't look like Heartsong to me. It does kind of remind me of the Wide Brim I had when it was younger. That's all I have for now, but I'll take another pic soon and see.
~Shawna
Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

Grand tiara perhaps?
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

You might be right that it could be something as common as Wide Brim. It isn't the right colors to be Grand Tiara, and I wonder if it will still need more time to "shape up" correctly. Crazy change from last year, but probably still not showing what it is going to be quite yet.
New Topic Post Reply