Fertilizing in the fall?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Schattenfreude
USDA Zone: 5b - 6a

Fertilizing in the fall?

Post by Schattenfreude »

Hi folks,

This is the time of year when I transplant my containerized hostas back into the ground for the long winter nap. Is it a bad idea to mix some Holly Tone into the dirt as I transplant?

Kevin in KC
Don Rawson

Re: Fertilizing in the fall?

Post by Don Rawson »

I'm thinking that would be just fine. Espoma makes some wonderful organic plant foods which break down slowly and provide continuous feeding. Mixing a handful in a hole before planting your hosta is a good idea. I doubt that it would be harmful, even though you're doing it in the fall season rather than the spring. However, I think I'd use Flower-tone, Bulb-tone, or Tomato-tone which are higher in the last two numbers, not the Holly-tone.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Fertilizing in the fall?

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

Though some of the nutrients may wash out of the soil before spring and before the hostas have a chance to use it, some of it will stick around and the extra sulphur in the hollytone will help to lower the pH of your soil which helps with acid loving plants like hostas. I always add Hollytone when I plant, even in the fall, and we have a naturally high pH soil so I use it on everything.
New Topic Post Reply