Hosta and Goldenrain tree

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
jerryshenk
USDA Zone: 6a

Hosta and Goldenrain tree

Post by jerryshenk »

I just want to say that I appreciate the info I've gleaned from here over the past 2 years or so. I've learned a lot of things that I didn't know I didn't know;)

We have a "host bank" along our driveway. At the top of the bank are old white pine trees. We've been working on this for a few years and learning about hosta at the same time. I think there is a little more sun on the bank than would be idea. This is a north-facing bank and they get morning shade from trees on the other side of the drive but, a little more shade would be beneficial. This year in the ice storm, the top of one of the big white pine trees came down (tree to the left in the picture) so that will decrease the shade a bit and, it also gives a good chance to do something different.

ImageDSC_20130829_110626 by jerryshenk, on Flickr

I've been thinking about a Goldenrain Tree - any thoughts? They seem to be a fairly interesting tree that would provide some shade but not be too dense. I'm wondering about the root system and about how "prolific" they are and those seed pods - are they interesting for a week and then a total mess? Those concerns are somewhat in order. "Mess" is pretty low on the list - this isn't a "manicured golf course", we have a couple sycamore trees and people complain about their mess but they seem ok to me.

http://shop.arborday.org/product.aspx?zpid=841 - Arbor Day Foundation page
http://forestry.about.com/od/forestphot ... aniculata/ - Steve Nix - About.com - Forestry
Linda P

Re: Hosta and Goldenrain tree

Post by Linda P »

I have hosta planted under a goldenraintree. So far, the roots don't seem to be too much of an issue. There are roughly a bazillion or so seedlings to pull out every year, so if you can't keep up with them, be aware that you'll have little trees growing all over. On the plus side, I haven't round them anywhere else in the garden, just where they fall from the tree. They don't have wings to fly around like the maple seeds. The tree in flower is a beautiful sight, and I don't mind the look of the seed pods either. One of the main issues I have with the tree is that Japanese beetles absolutely love it, and they will completely decimate the top 2/3 of the foliage if I don't dump about $30 worth of Bayer Advance under the tree in early June. In my book, it's a mixed blessing of a tree, and I probably wouldn't plant another one, if I knew then what I know now.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
jerryshenk
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by jerryshenk »

Definitely helpful information! I was actually thinking about planting a couple of them on that bank over time. Maybe I should just stick with dogwood or cherry. I kindof wanted "something different" - but, perhaps the reason for the old standby trees is that they just work;)

We almost never see any Japanese beetles here...hadn't even thought about that till you mentioned it.

One article I read on the tree did mention seedlings in "warmer areas". I see you are in zone 5...that's a little colder than here so seedlings probably would be an issue for me.

Do you know which one you have? Is it the narrow one (Faastigiata I believe) or the one with a wider spread (up to 30-40 feet they say)?
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Mine is the wider spreading one. If they could come up with one that didn't toss the seeds about, I'd definitely be in favor of it. I found that it is listed as invasive in Illinois.

My Hosta List
Schattenfreude
USDA Zone: 5b - 6a

Post by Schattenfreude »

What about a redbud tree, or better yet the purple-leaved redbud, 'Forest Pansy'? I always find those beautiful when planted together along a bank or pathway. Hopefully others can chime in regarding root competition, as I don't have any hostas planted under my redbud.

The Korean spice viburnum is another choice understory bush. Not too dense and the flowers are just as fragrant as a lilac bush, if not more so! They can be pruned after flowering to keep them smaller, or grow them tall as a tree form :-)
Korean Spice viburnum flower (ca. 2-3" in diameter)
Korean Spice viburnum flower (ca. 2-3" in diameter)

Kevin in KC
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Good suggestions, Kevin. I grow hosta under both of those, and have no problem (so far) with root competition. I have many varieties of viburnum in my garden, and Korean Spice is the best behaved of the bunch, and the fragrance of those blossoms fills the yard for a few days in spring.

My Hosta List
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

I have had hostas close to my goldrains in my former garden. Laburnum anagyroides is a small tree in zone 7b ... up to 19 foot I think, it toss a lot of seeds, but as Linda wrote all close to the tree.
Laburnum is poisonous, how bad it is depend on where you look :( but stomach pain at least, but ... only if you eat it. Said to look like pears but only have the shape of it... it is hairy and dusty green, never seen a kid wanting to eat it, but.... Then, I have several way more poisonous plant in my garden and no one talk about them...

'Vossii' is a rather sterile form with longer flower stands... the alpine sort, as the other it is a small tree, but may be a tad slower in the first years.

Love them :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Pia, the Goldenrain Tree that we can grow here in the colder climates is Kolreuteria Paniculata. This one is not poisonus, and the roasted seeds are said to be edible. I know Laburnum as golden chain, but can't grow it here.

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply