please tell me about what i have missed

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
combellack

please tell me about what i have missed

Post by combellack »

Greetings all
It has been quite a while since i have been to these forums (mostly due to a new obsession, mycology I love Fungus) but my old family home is being put up for sale and i have been potting up my entire host collection so not surprisingly (seeing that a lot of the plants are from seed and now mature) i have come to think that many more crosses are in my future. My total named varieties runs about three hundred (admittedly wimpy by many standards) with about 1000 seedlings that have survived my neglect over the last few years and being the obsessive type of person i am i find myself thinking about making new crosses this year and i was wondering what amazing plants have entered the market during the last few years that i will be missing and should add to my old collection for breeding in the future??? I will have lots to trade this year and if anyone is interested in learning about mycology i would be happy to share both information and cultures. Been away for too long but it seems my feeble brain can't run more than a couple obsessions at once but looking forward to re-entering hosta land as it has the best and friendliest people in the entire plant loving world.
Mark
LET'S TRADE HOSTA contact me at combellack@netzero.com
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Re: please tell me about what i have missed

Post by thy »

Welcome back Mark :D

Lots of new, good and interesting hostas have pop'd up the last years, witch ones you need depend on what you want to do the crosses for
Lots of new blue's with wavy edges, some with white back ... I have big problems resisting that group :wink:
Beautiful yellow's and the red petioles are still going strong.
Think the easiest way to look at new hostas are a raid at Chris's and other good nursery's sites... think you will be overwhelmed :D

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Welcome home, Mark. I don't envy you the task of potting up all those hostas! I'm with Pia on those white backs...can't resist them. Anything with purple petioles will get me too, especially if they are combined with white backs and wavy edges. I also agree with Pia about perusing the sellers lists. The number of new hostas released every year is mind-boggling.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Have moved my collection twice in the last 18 yrs. don't envy your task. I've done it in pots, now I would use plastic grocery bags and get them planted asap if I had to do it again. Welcome back to the Hosta world, would love to hear about the fungus growing, daughter want to grow shrooms.
combellack

Post by combellack »

Thanks for the greetings, the project moves on and have to say the streakers fared better than expected and i now have at least a hundred properly divided and green part removed (of course some of the green reverts where pretty nice looking so they are getting a chance too). I too love the white backed hosta and have a thing for forms with long narrow wavy foliage (saw electrocution at the nursery i used to work at and will need to get it) as well as the little guys and it looks like i finally have enough H. venusta to mass plant them in the way i have always wanted too. Reading these forums is a great way to slide back under the spell of these wonderful plants.
And Justaysam if you want to talk about Mushrooms (and i am not sure weather your use of the word shrooms was intended as a short form for mushrooms or weather you where using it to refer to a particular subset of mushroom cultivation activities) feel free to pm me.
Mark
LET'S TRADE HOSTA contact me at combellack@netzero.com
New Topic Post Reply