H. Emerald Ruff Cut

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
irawon
USDA Zone: 5b

H. Emerald Ruff Cut

Post by irawon »

Hi everyone,

I've been enjoying everybody's pictures, so I thought I'd share a pic of Emerald Ruff Cut (June 3, 2014), which is looking a lot better than last year. It was damaged by frost last spring. I didn't remove the dead foliage last fall and wasn't able to remove it early spring, so perhaps the dead leaves provided extra protection. I was a bit worried that the dead leaves were harbouring slug eggs and that I'd have a big slug problem this year, especially since I didn't have the time to apply an ammonia bath. I was slug hunting a couple of nights ago and found only one. Perhaps the extra cold winter and late spring reduced the slug population. I'm rethinking the removal of dead leaves in the fall. Any opinions?
P6030104.jpg
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: H. Emerald Ruff Cut

Post by Tigger »

Lovely! Some kind of winter mulch is helpful, I'm sure.
rufie98
USDA Zone: 6

Post by rufie98 »

Your Emerald Ruff Cut is a beauty! I remember seeing one in person two years ago and I never forgotten it.

As for whether you should leave the leaves on in the fall, it wouldn't hurt to continue to experiment and see what happens. I think if you leave the fall leaves, but then do the ammonia bath in spring, you should get rid of a good deal of slugs.

Last fall I decided to cut down some of my hostas in the fall. I cut my large albomarginata down to about two inches during the daytime and then went out slug hunting that evening. What a surprise---there were several large slugs around the remains of that hosta! I got rid of them then and there. So for me, I think cutting the hostas is a very good idea. The slugs are so much easier to see. I have never lost a hosta that was in garden soil. Now growing in pots, well, that is another story!
Phil

Post by Phil »

Beautiful!
irawon

Post by irawon »

Rufie, I like to wait until the foliage of my hostas is dry before removing it, to avoid transferring latent HVX from one hosta to another. I'm glad I do, because my Ani Machi/Geicha was near ERC and found to be infected 2 years ago. I'll try to make sure I get around to the ammonia bath next spring.

Phil and Tigger, thanks for looking and the kind words. I wasn't expecting ERC to get this big.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Great pic of a lovely hosta :D
Slug controle in late fall can help
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
lessa's dh
Location: usually next to lessa! Latitude = 42.7304, Longitude = -80.9952, Altitude = 233m or 764.4ft

Post by lessa's dh »

With a little extra love (watering every 4 days or so) and some really good dappled light from the shade cloth - this is what happens! :o
Emerald Ruff Cut 2.jpg
Compostaphile and Compostaphobe -- To rot or not to rot . . .

ps. I don't have a hosta list - lessa took them all!!

Latitude - Longitude:
42.727844,-80.87182
pauhaus

Post by pauhaus »

Ed and Art, your ERCs are beauties. I must have a dud because it's really small and comes up looking the same every year. I have had it for four years now.
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Lovely pics above. My ERC is looking the best it has ever looked this year. With the slow spring, it didn't get frozen as it did a couple of years ago. And most of my hostas look large and healthy.

Re garden clean-up, I've had foliar nematodes for a few years now and I think that a really thorough garden clean-up and spraying the cut hosta base with an ammonia solution may help reduce their numbers. They are just about everywhere and most of you probably have them too since they affect many different perennials.

This was mine in late May.
Emerald_Ruff_Cut-140523sx.jpg
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
irawon

Post by irawon »

ViolaAnn and Lessa, thanks for posting your pics. Both of your hostas are beautiful and show what a gorgeous hosta it is both while in the young and mature stages. I'm surprised to see that mine should still grow taller.
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

An Emerald Ruff Cut leaf took Best in Show yesterday in Philadelphia.
morgansrgr8
USDA Zone: 5

Post by morgansrgr8 »

My mom has been on a shopping spree lately. Will have to put a bug in her ear about ERC. Its beautiful. She got me Church Mouse and Curly Fries yesterday. I love her surprise visits. lmao
Linda
I know I am past the point of no return but what a way to go.

My Hosta List
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Picture taken today. It's in bloom.
Emerald_Ruff_Cut-140630-2sx.jpg
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
New Topic Post Reply