Iris Frazier

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
playinmud

Iris Frazier

Post by playinmud »

A few years ago I bought 'Iris Frazier' at one of the local hosta societies' meetings. It is a nice plant; sits upright and has good color. I hadn't noticed that it's sported a huge golden leafed eye. It's about 25% taller than rest of the plant. I was too tired from weeding all day, but I'll get a pic of it. Does anyone have this variety? I'm wondering if this is normal.

Thanks,
Donna
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
Carol O
USDA Zone: 4

Re: Iris Frazier

Post by Carol O »

I don't have Iris Frazier but looked it up on the Hosta Library and read it's bio on the MyHostas Database.
Iris Frazier sported from 'Five O'Clock Somewhere,' which sported from ''Five O'Clock Shadow,' which sported from 'High Noon,' which is "An upright and spreading clump of pointed bright gold leaves and lavender flowers.A mature specimen of this winner will stop you dead in your tracks with its bright gold, upright leaves. Lavender flowers. Large yellow leaves on very tall petioles." quoted from the description of High Noon in the MyHostas Database.

So maybe your Iris Frazier is going back to its 'roots.'
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Thank you Carol. I looked that yup in the hosta library and the last photo looks just like it. I'll have to split that off and see how it does. :D

Donna
~PIM~

playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Just thought I'd follow up on this with the pic I said I'd post. Image
The sport has the bright yellow leaves on the right coming out of the variegated one. Hope you can make it out. Sun was really bright, tough seeing the pic when I took it.

Thanks,
Donna
~PIM~

ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Looking at our Index to Hosta Threads (one of the stickies at the top), there is a thread about Iris Frazier with several posts at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43643
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Nice color :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply