Nematodes with a side of HVX ???

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Ludi
USDA Zone: 7a

Nematodes with a side of HVX ???

Post by Ludi »

Hi Chris,

I am posting this here so as to not bog down your email, and help others learn if these are in fact foliar nematodes and the beginnings of HVX. I am not an expert by a long shot (you knew that) but I am almost sure about the nematodes. The HVX I will leave for you to declare. I only noticed it after I took the camera out to take pictures of the nematodes ... go figure ... pandora's box.

Here is the control photo to show a standard uninterrupted leaf. The cultivar is 'Cascades'.

Now for the pics of what I believe to be nematodes ...

These next two pictures are a hot mess ... I'm not sure what all is going on here.

Imager

And finally, the pic of what I THINK might be HVX ...

So what's the verdict Doc ?

As always Thank YOU for taking the time to look and help. :)

Best,
Ludi
The only thing two Gardeners will ever agree on is what the other is doing wrong.

You won't know how to grow a plant successfully until you've killed it a few times.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Nematodes with a side of HVX ???

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Ludi,

Wow, that is tough to see, but I think I just have a bad perspective. I'm trying to see if it is meltout or nematodes, which you can usually tell the difference by the nematodes being clearly confined by the veins. So I'm trying to look and see if any of the browning is crossing over the veins at any spot and in some areas it almost looks like it does but then that one picture with the brown coming down in sure looks like it is completely contained.

I hate to say this, but can you share a more overall picture showing multiple leaves instead of just close ups?

And hopefully a few others will take a look at this and tell their opinions. From my experience, when you see something like this your gut instinct is usually right, but there are times when a plant can get damaged and show symptoms similar to nematodes but be something else.

And I don't think the marks are anything to worry about - maybe just some bug damage - I don't see anything screaming out HVX.

Chris
Ludi

Post by Ludi »

Thanks for taking a look, Chris !

Here is a pic (taken today) of the entire plant ... although I doubt this will help much.

I will definitely take more pics tomorrow of entire leaves and not so much of the close ups.

I was wanting to capture the detail of the discolored blotches with the close ups, but if nothing is screaming at you, other than potential summer melt out, I can deal with that. :D

But the verdict is still out ... with more pics pending.

I've made myself sick with all this. I really hope that I am overeacting (as I tend to do).

Thanks again, and I'll post soon with more.

Ludi
The only thing two Gardeners will ever agree on is what the other is doing wrong.

You won't know how to grow a plant successfully until you've killed it a few times.
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

My first impression (especially on seeing the whole plant) is that this is Cascades being Cascades. Just a bit of meltout. But do watch for nematodes as summer goes on.

David
Ludi

Post by Ludi »

I'm back !!! This time, hopefully, with better pictures. :D

David, Thank You for taking a moment to look. That makes two for two on it potentially being melt out. I like those odds.

I'm still concerned by the yellowing on some of the margins. There is one leaf that is definitely browning between the veins, but I also think that some definitely could be melt out.

I'm still not sure overall how I feel, hopefully this next round of pictures will help.

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

After seeing the overall pictures I'm also inclined to believe this is meltout and not nematodes. I thought that originally, too, but wasn't sure. Part of it is that the browning crosses over the veins in a few spots and isn't going all the way across in other spots. And it only seems to be in the white portions, so that is the first clue. I know some of it is surrounded by brown which looks like nematodes but it is only no the vein portions that don't go down into the petioles, and those types of veins get meltout more than the ones that go all the way into the petioles.

And look for mites on the back of the leaves with yellowing edges.

Relax for now.

Chris
Lessadragon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Lessadragon »

I agree with Chris and Tigger. Cascades just looks like this at this time of year. Definitely don't see any HVX at all. Looks like meltout rather than nematode damage to me as well.
New Topic Post Reply