Streaked or Sick?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
mpedersen
USDA Zone: 3b

Streaked or Sick?

Post by mpedersen »

Winter Snow, I got it either in 2012 or 2013. It came up this year and had a big yellow streak that quickly showed some holes, but then many other leaves showed up with yellow streaks.

So, the question is simply this - is the plant diseased, or has it started streaking...
DSC_0306_600w.jpg
DSC_0306_600w_closeleft.jpg
DSC_0306_600w_closeright.jpg
FYI, leave damage was a hailstorm this summer.
morgansrgr8
USDA Zone: 5

Re: Streaked or Sick?

Post by morgansrgr8 »

Looks like its streaking to me. Are u sure its Winter Snow? Its going to take a few years to show its size. I got mine in 2010 and its huge. It started showing its size after 2 years. Its a great grower for me.
Linda
I know I am past the point of no return but what a way to go.

My Hosta List
mpedersen

Post by mpedersen »

morgansrgr8 wrote:Looks like its streaking to me. Are u sure its Winter Snow? Its going to take a few years to show its size. I got mine in 2010 and its huge. It started showing its size after 2 years. Its a great grower for me.
I got it from Bently Gardens via eBay IIRC, and it was probably a starter when I got it. It's grown considerably since obtaining it. I don't think I planted it just last year, but I might have. Either way, it wasn't a streaker when I got it....I know he sells Blizzard too, but I don't think you'd make that kind of mistake.
Lessadragon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Lessadragon »

They may make that kind of mistake if they thought that a Blizzard had stabilized out to Winter Snow and sold it as that. That's an easy mistake when you are selling very small plants. That's why I grow them a bit longer to be sure they are what they are supposed to be.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I agree, it is a streaked Winter Snow that probably appeared to be a stabilized Blizzard so he sold it as Winter Snow and some of the streaking came back.

When young the Sum and Substance family can look different with elongated, pointed leaves that don't resemble the mature plants. But this looks correct to me at this age.

Chris
mpedersen

Post by mpedersen »

Sounds like a win then?!

Having watched how Brave Attempt stabalizes out consistently to something along the lines of Inspire Greatness, would we call something like this Blizzard (is that presumptuous at this point), or "Streaked Winter Snow" (as you can see in the image, it still clearly seems to be holding a white margin so far)? My light understanding is that many believe we shouldn't treat stabilized streakers as all being the same even if they look the same (eg. Galaxy stablizing out to solid green...should we, or should we not, call it the same thing every time it does that?).
mpedersen

Post by mpedersen »

Came back bigger and totally streaked this year!
mpedersen

Post by mpedersen »

Here's a quick look at it, in context.
Attachments
DSC_0030_crop.jpg
New Topic Post Reply