Three more of our intros are going into TC

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Three more of our intros are going into TC

Post by Chris_W »

Today was a big day for us as we just mailed out 6 plants, 2 each of 3 of our introductions - Radiant Star, Peace Offer, and Eye Never, to go into tissue culture production. Fortunately we were able to dig last week to get them out of the ground before the big freeze took over here :)

Last month Brian and I made a trip to Agristarts 3 in Eustis, Florida to see about getting some of our plants into tissue culture production and after meeting with the owner he actually wanted to take all three plants we were looking to get produced and introduce all three of them for us. Agristarts sells tissue culture plants to wholesale growers who then grow the plants in quart or gallon pots to sell to other nurseries and stores. My original hope was that they would do a custom run for us, but instead he liked them enough that he wants to sell them.

We had an early freeze in November and a thaw in late December so the plants had enough dormancy already. They will go into the lab this month, be multiplied in the lab over the summer, get put into liners in the fall, overwintered in the cooler in the winter, then if all goes well be brought out and sold in the spring of 2016. If the numbers aren't good enough they might continue to mutiply them in the lab through 2016 too, but the plants I sent all had mutiple eyes with tons of dormant eyes as well so they will have a really good start there.

Wish us luck that all goes well and we have a long and prosperous run on these. It is still a bit surreal to me that this is happening actually :wow:
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: Three more of our intros are going into TC

Post by Tigger »

Great news. I'll be happy to tell people they needn't wait long for the 'Radiant Star' they've been admiring here.

David
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Congratulations, Chris and Brian! I'm glad that you found someone to work with on these. My little Radiant Star has suffered a few indignities over the last few years, but it's hanging in there and I'm hopeful that it will take off this year.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Congrats! That is exciting news. Glad you were able to find an enthusiastic partner to help with the tissue culture and distribution. Looking forward to seeing the results.
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
Lessadragon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Lessadragon »

That's great guys. I have customers here who are wanting these, so now I can tell them that the wait won't be long now!!!
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

Congrats! I'll be watching AG3's availability list :)
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Thanks Josh. When we know more I'll post it. For now they are growing in Florida and leafing out in the warm climate. :)
tsbccowboy
Location: Apple Valley, Minnesota 44°43'39.50"N 93°14'52.40"W

Post by tsbccowboy »

'Radiant Star' is a really cool Hosta. Here are photos of two I received from Chris in 2011.

Radiant Star
5/24/11

Radiant Star
5/24/11

This next photo isn't 'Radiant Star' but it is 'Wings of a Prayer', which I also got from Chris at the same time as 'Radiant Star'.

Wings of a Prayer
5/24/11

Chris, have you or are you planning on putting 'Wings of a Prayer' into TC? Both 'Radiant Star' and 'Wings of a Prayer' are beautiful Hostas.

John
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Thank you John, I hope that they both keep growing up good for you. I would be interested if you have a newer picture of Wings of a Prayer now that it would be older, but even as a young plant it really shows off that white edge :)

Wings of a Prayer was supposed to have been introduced by Shady Oaks Nursery but as I'm sure you know they went out of business. The good news is that when they closed down we got the entire inventory of Wings of a Prayer that had been tissue cultured so they are growing here now. We got some of them in 2013 from TC also and those are being sold this spring:

http://www.perennialnursery.com/hosta-w ... rayer.html

Thanks again for sharing your pictures :D

Chris
tsbccowboy
Location: Apple Valley, Minnesota 44°43'39.50"N 93°14'52.40"W

Post by tsbccowboy »

Chris,

I'm not sure how I missed seeing 'Wings of a Prayer' listed on your introductions for sale. I'm glad it was TC'd and you have it for sale. People are going to be happy with it.

John

Wings of a Prayer
6/10/14 (that is a 'Radiant Star' on the upper left of 'Wings of a Prayer')
I'm looking forward to seeing 'Wings of a Prayer' this year.
New Topic Post Reply