Your Gardening Assistant

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

tsbccowboy
Location: Apple Valley, Minnesota 44°43'39.50"N 93°14'52.40"W

Your Gardening Assistant

Post by tsbccowboy »

Tell us about your gardening assistant. Is your gardening assistant a person, a pet, a tool, other ( past or present)? Who or what helps you or "helps you" in the garden?

Nike is my gardening assistant.

Nike

Nike

Nike
After a large snow. Nike would take a couple steps, then stand up to see where to go next.

She was with me for 16 years before leaving this world, but she is still with me each time I go out into the gardens. She was an incredible dog. Nike would smile at me each day I came home from work, at least I called it a smile and not just baring her teeth at me. When I first met Diana I told her Nike could smile and Diana said "yeah, right". Diana wasn't too believing, but the first time Nike smiled at her, it melted Diana's heart. I also told Diana I was 6 feet tall (I may be short of 6 feet on the outside but I'm 6 feet on the inside) and my dog was a Doberman (Nike was also a little short on the outside but on the inside she was a big dog).

I like popcorn and often times made a large bowl of popcorn for myself. Nike also liked popcorn but could only have the ones that fell. Nike would sit beside me while I ate popcorn and would nudge the bowl with her nose to try and make some popcorn fall out (like I couldn't figure out what she was doing). Popcorn probably wasn't the best thing for a dog but I did brush her teeth every day.

Nike has some Dachshund in her and I always wanted to enter her in a Wiener Dog race. She was super fast running and it was fun to watch her run. Her ears would be straight back and she looked like a bullet. If she could have been in a race with purebred Dachshunds, she would have blown away the field.

Who is your gardening assistant,
Cowboy
McTavish
USDA Zone: 4-5

Re: Your Gardening Assistant

Post by McTavish »

What is a garden without pet's helping you? Here are a couple of older pictures. I'm trying to learn how to post pictures on this forum. This is a different way than the pictures on the thread of what got us interested in Hostas. Let's see what happens.

ImageSunny Delight 10-8-13 (50) by mctavish6, on Flickr

ImageBig Ben and Little Ben 9-12-13 (7) by mctavish6, on Flickr

That seemed to work.
harryshoe
USDA Zone: 6 E. PA

Post by harryshoe »

Manfred helps to remove pests from my garden. This picture answers all questions concerning his ability to hold on to his snacks.

hippieindenial
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by hippieindenial »

The two goldens are mine - Talia and Tucker. The Beagle/Bloodhound mix is my parents' dog - Sadie.

Vanessa
Don_in_Colorado
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Don_in_Colorado »

!cid_334.jpg
Cujo has been my constant companion in the gardens for several years now. Hunts voles like a champ.

Don B.
Attachments
Cujo my buddy - Copy.jpg
tsbccowboy

Post by tsbccowboy »

Love all these guys but what planet did Manfred come from?!?!?!? WOW!
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Look at all those assistants and I'm betting a lot gets done in everyone's gardens. Our four legged friend is Sable and she
pretty much has her own area, if allowed into the garden she will bee line to where there is soft dirt and rolls in it. Or will
find all the sap in the yard and again have it all over her fur. Don't have a current photo but will try to add one later.
Attachments
laying down on the job and is a digging helper
laying down on the job and is a digging helper
Sable trying to nap.
Sable trying to nap.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

One of my past gardening companions, now at the Rainbow Bridge, eating more grass.... and the occasional hosta...
P7150345.JPG
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

So nice to see everyone's companions and helpers, past and present :)

These are a few of my assistants. We've had lots of past ones too unfortunately, but these three are still with us after many years.

Cleo is the resident vole and rabbit hunter. You won't see her very often but she is my shadow when there aren't customers around:
DCleo-Patrol.JPG
Next is Scratchy. She is our 2nd best hunter and she loves to catch mice and voles. Usually she works the night shift so you will find her in my office most of the time:
Scratchy-Box.JPG
The last one for me to share is Foxy. Her job is to look pretty in the hosta gardens:
Foxy-Hosta.JPG
Maddie is also around all the time as our official greeter, but I don't have a picture of her at the moment. She spends her entire days greeting guests during the summer and won't leave the sales area until closing time.
tsbccowboy

Post by tsbccowboy »

Each one of these gardening assistants is so precious!!!
McTavish
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by McTavish »

Here are a few to add. Everyone's pets are beautiful. First of all I'm jealous of Chris and Don's hunters. I used to have hunters but they all died of old age within a few years of each other. This one, MItzi, is new to us. She's a sweetheart and does catch the occasional thing but not very often. She is more interested in seeing just how fat she can get. I notice in this picture she is much slimmer than she is now. That is not a good thing.

ImageMitzi 10-7 14 (20) by mctavish6, on Flickr

Bo's purpose is decorative. He follows me around and poses. He's in at least half of my garden pictures. In these shots he is pretending to be a cat statue.

ImageBo 10-8-14 (71) by mctavish6, on Flickr

ImageBo 10-8-14 (82) by mctavish6, on Flickr

Brody the sweetheart. He's 12. It scares me

ImageBrody 10-8-14 (63) by mctavish6, on Flickr
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

McTavish, your assistants and gardens are lovely. Thanks for sharing :)
DelawareDonna
USDA Zone: 7A

Post by DelawareDonna »

Manfred's brother, Manny hangs out in my garden.
Attachments
manny.jpg
He who plants a garden plants happiness
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Garden helpers

LOL the first dog I had with hostas in the garden loved to dig them up and plant a bone in the hole. Not an easy job for a Bison Frise, they dig with their noses... very easy to confirm on a white dog :lol:
Miss Amanda did not like soil on her feet, she preferred tiles, if she walked with me in the garden it was just because she was so afraid I would get lost... from her... she did snap a bumblebee or a little bird once in a while :(
Fra camera 390.JPG
The only dog with interess in the garden is my sons, she follow me around, sticking her nose in the plants and look at me... think she wonder why I scratch the soil and not her :D

It is amazing how elegant and careful this huge dog can walk my narrow patches.

But I do have an excellent helper or rather had when she was a student... My daughter :D

Welcome to the new members :D
Attachments
Shadlif (2).jpg
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
funnthsun
USDA Zone: 7A - VA

Post by funnthsun »

Here's mine. Her name is Abbey and she is always outside when there is gardening happening. She really enjoys it!

She smells every single plant that I put in the ground, supervising the process and goes on my daily walks through the garden, sniffing everything in sight. I just love working with the best!
tsbccowboy

Post by tsbccowboy »

It is so fun to see each of these "assistants"
Linda's Garden
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by Linda's Garden »

001.JPG
I love seeing everyone's pets! Everyone should have a helper or two (or three in my case). My three dogs follow me around in the garden and are generally well behaved. The husky loves to go out and lay in the sun while I work in the garden. :cool:

Linda
Attachments
027.JPG
Carol O
USDA Zone: 4

Post by Carol O »

Here's Lily. She's sometimes more of a 'pest' than an assistant!
Attachments
Lily.jpg
bkay2000
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by bkay2000 »

Thy, is that an Irish Wolfhound?

Gorgeous dog.

bk
Linda's Garden
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by Linda's Garden »

June Bug 001.JPG
I recently got another gardening assistant LOL...she is just here for a bit though...I am fostering her for a local rescue group. Her name is June but I call her Junebug. She is a Border Collie/Terrier mix.
New Topic Post Reply