I knew hostas were tuff, but

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
thy
USDA Zone: 7

I knew hostas were tuff, but

Post by thy »

When I moved to a new house back in 2008 I lost h. Lakeside Lollipops or at least I thought I had lost it.
Last spring I noticed a green leave coming up at the base of a huge h. Queen of the Seas. Thought it was a weed until I felt it, the texture were too heavy so I let it be for some times, next time I looked at it, it was easy to see it was a hosta coming up, so carefully I dug around it with my hands and out came h. l. Lollipop. The crown had a weird shape and it became clear it had been folded up under a way bigger hosta... and slowly found its way to the surface :D
Found a perfect little spot for it and can't wait to see if it like to have its own spot again :wink:
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: I knew hostas were tuff, but

Post by Chris_W »

Yup, they can be really tough! I've seen a couple come up with a really strange shape from under rocks before. Oops...

Glad you found Lakeside Lollipop :)
tsbccowboy
Location: Apple Valley, Minnesota 44°43'39.50"N 93°14'52.40"W

Post by tsbccowboy »

What a happy find!

These aren't Hostas but the next door neighbor had some Sedum and Daylilies covered by leaf bags and they still survived. The plants were covered by leaf bags in the Fall and the bags weren't removed until late June the following year. The plants had started coming up but were entirely white. In a few days they looked normal.

The leaf bags are in the upper left part of the photo, by the trellis on the garage
6/12/14

10 days later and the plants are growing
6/22/14 (they are kind of hard to see but they are there)
harryshoe
USDA Zone: 6 E. PA

Post by harryshoe »

My original Halcyon was obliterated by a backhoe working on my home's foundation one summer. The next spring, I noticed 5 little Halcyons growing in the leftover topsoil pile! Two of them were planted along the walk near my front door. When they overgrew my walk, they were transplanted. The next spring, five baby Halcyons emerged from the previous spot by the walk. Today, I am the proud parent of 10 Halcyon hosta.

tsbccowboy

Post by tsbccowboy »

Harryshoe,

Beautiful view of the front of your house!

Way to go getting the 10 Halcyons.

Cowboy
tsbccowboy

Post by tsbccowboy »

This isn't a Hosta but it is tuff!

On Thursday, 3/5/15, it was -7 for a low temp. A few days later and this Tulip is starting to grow and it isn't even in the ground.

Tulip
3/8/15
New Topic Post Reply