Saving Olive

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
bkay2000
USDA Zone: 8a

Saving Olive

Post by bkay2000 »

From the first photo I saw, I wanted Olive Bailey Langdon. I finally got an one in 2013. It was a large plant with many eyes. It burns for me, though, much like Frances Williams does. I don't care for FW for that reason, although I continue to "catch" them while sport "fishing". They always catch my eye as babies. They just don't do well here.

I'm considering finding Olive another home, as she has those aggravating brown patches. Does anyone have any ideas that might help?

I really don't have any shade to speak of until May 15 or so when the pecan trees leaf out. I can move her to the front of the house which faces north. I can't stop the wind, though.

This was May 15 last year.
DSCN2195.JPG
This was July 2013

bk
Attachments
DSCN1515.JPG
Zkathy
USDA Zone: 7a

Re: Saving Olive

Post by Zkathy »

My Frances Williams looked good last year for the first time and it was a really wet spring. She's been in the ground for ten years. Maybe it's like teenage acne and will get better with age.
You could cut off any leaves that looked really bad and put up with slower growth over the years and hope it improves. Take this advice as wild ass guesses because I don't really have a clue, which has never stopped me before in giving advice.

Kathy
If you want to understand an entitlement mentality get a cat.
Diana
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Diana »

That 2013 pic shows mechanical damage to me. The edge desiccation usually shows up on the white edges of hostas like your first photo. My OBL gets only very early morning sun and doesn't show edge problems, but then we don't get cold and windy here. You have an otherwise beautiful plant and I'd move it to the front of the house (north) and see how that goes. And like Kathy says, you can just remove any leaves that bother you...as long as there are just a few. I do.

-Diana
Schattenfreude
USDA Zone: 5b - 6a

Post by Schattenfreude »

Put her in a big pot and move her to a more sheltered location for the first few months. Then return her to her 'home' after the shade returns and replant her or keep her in the pot buried in the ground.

Kevin in KC
bkay2000
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by bkay2000 »

Diana, the damage was widespread in the plant in 2013, although it was in the shade by May. In 2014, it was in too much sun all year. I didn't think it was appropriate to blame it for that. The photos of it are outstanding, so I hope to get it to look pretty. If not, there are some that will look pretty for me. Someone will always take an OBL.

Thanks, Kevin. I will move it to the north side of the house for a month or so. The pecans will have leafed out by then.

bk

Attachments
DSCN1516.JPG
New Topic Post Reply