H. 'Journey's End'

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Don_in_Colorado
USDA Zone: 5a

H. 'Journey's End'

Post by Don_in_Colorado »

Coming up with 8 divisions, very thick. Had it since 2012 and I think this is the year it explodes.
Fingers crossed!

Don B.
Attachments
DSC00917.JPG
old_dirt
USDA Zone: 5b

Re: H. 'Journey's End'

Post by old_dirt »

Looks good Don, all your plants do. I think yours are a week or two ahead of mine. Just curious, is a division the same as a pip, eye or shoot?
Don_in_Colorado

Exactly, Old Dirt. I've gotten in the habit of calling 'em "divisions" but I'm not sure that's the correct term. :) Glad you knew what I was trying to say, though. Thanks!

Don B.
harryshoe
USDA Zone: 6 E. PA

Post by harryshoe »

Don,
That does look like it is ready to LEAP! Very healthy looking. Neither my divisions, shoots or pips are close to opening, unfurling or leafing out. Just little pointers is all I got.

Harry
Don_in_Colorado

Thanks Harry, I can't wait. A rather exciting time for me in the garden; many plants I bought in 2012 and 2013 are emerging with obvious substantial size increases. There will be pics! :beer:

Don B.
almosthooked
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by almosthooked »

Don, I recall when you first started your hosta beds and were sneaking a foot here and there so your wife wouldn't notice. You have came a long way since and as the years go by the excitement is still here. Spring is wonderful to see the new plants emerge and find new and added shoots and double from last season. Be still my heart!
Looking forward to see everyone's pictures this season too
Don_in_Colorado

LOL Ahh, those days I remember well, Almosthooked! My wife has really come to enjoy the hostas more and more every year (How can she NOT, right?) :D I'm going to be getting into hostas in pots, because space is getting scarce on the property, and I still have a whole bunch of varieties to get...

Cheers,
Don B.
Don_in_Colorado

A week later. She's really looking fine.
Attachments
DSC00947.JPG
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Looking beautiful Don!

Personally I would call them eyes, pips would be fine, shoots is also understandable, in some countries/languages noses means the same thing. I wouldn't call them divisions myself, and that confused me for a long time when people would say they received "X" number of divisions on a hosta sent to them. To me a division is a piece cut off a plant while number of eyes could refer to a potential number of divisions. We still understand what you mean no matter how you put it - in this case a definite leap year for you :D
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Chris_W wrote: Personally I would call them eyes, pips would be fine, shoots is also understandable, in some countries/languages noses means the same thing. I wouldn't call them divisions myself, and that confused me for a long time when people would say they received "X" number of divisions on a hosta sent to them. To me a division is a piece cut off a plant while number of eyes could refer to a potential number of divisions. We still understand what you mean no matter how you put it - in this case a definite leap year for you :D
To me they're only eyes when they're dormant, once they break ground they go to noses, pips or shoots. And they remain shoots as part of a plant, so for example on my 3rd year 'Empress Wu' this spring I have 4 shoots, never knew how many eyes it had because I didn't dig up the plant, and as the season goes on I have no doubt I'll see additional shoots develop. I'm with Chris re division, divisions happen when you divide a given number of shoots from the main plant, a division can and often does contain multiple shoots.
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
Don_in_Colorado

A little further along...EDIT: That is 'Royal Tapestry' to the right, still in pip stage. It's another great one, in my opinion.
Attachments
DSC00956.JPG
Don_in_Colorado

Yay!!! :D Light rain for three days straight. Perfect hosta weather.
Attachments
DSC00962.JPG
santamiller
USDA Zone: 8b

Post by santamiller »

Beautiful plant, Don. Keep us updated with further pictures.
New Topic Post Reply