clausa running wild

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

clausa running wild

Post by redcrx »

My clausa normalis has been getting into other things and today I caught it invading Pathfinder's space.
Pathfinder with clausa normalis - May 4, 2015
Pathfinder with clausa normalis - May 4, 2015
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Mountainy Man
USDA Zone: 8

Re: clausa running wild

Post by Mountainy Man »

Oh thats not good, how far has clausa spread from where you planted it? I have it in a pot and am a bit nervous about putting it in the ground. I have Yellow Splash Rim which is supposed to be a spreader too I think. Does anybody use a root barrier a la bamboos? or how are these hostas dealt with?

Denis
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

This one and the plain clausa do this for me. I have a rectifolia 'Nishiki' that has spread a little maybe a foot. I'll get pictures of clausa and clausa normalis tomorrow.
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Mountainy Man

Post by Mountainy Man »

I'm not sure which clausa I have as it has not flowered since I bought it, well it was wrongly labeled as ventricosa sigh, I knew no better as I knew little about hostas back then. I would love to see pics of them both, thanks.
Denis
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Check the Index above
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Here are my two clausas today.

This is the clausa that does not open its flowers.
Here you can see it wandering off to the left into the walking path.
clausa - May 5 , 2015
clausa - May 5 , 2015
Here it's wandering off to the right.
clausa - May 5 , 2015
clausa - May 5 , 2015
From the other side as it heads for H. Made You Look:
clausa - May 5 , 2015
clausa - May 5 , 2015
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

And here is clausa normalis.
The Pathfinder is on the left. The clausa normalis is over-running an azalea (the azelea looks pitiful because it got "blasted" in 2014 really cold winter - the azalea is Encore Azalea Autumn Embers with one of the prettiest flowers but I'm pushing its range in my garden). That's Kinba at the bottom - the next "victim".
clausa normalis - May 5, 2015
Here it's infiltrating a large cluster of gladiolus. The Kinba is on the left edge of the frame with H. Totally Twisted on the right.
Here is a shot from the opposite side. The plant went under a small "wall" (it wasn't very deep) and is in the grass now. I may just take out that plot of grass and let the clausa normalis have it. What you can't see here is that I had a fence put in to stop deer and rabbits and this grass area is now a problem space between the fence and the little brick wall that had been the edge of the garden.
Here you see it engulfing H. Get Nekkid - the few rippled leaves in there.
And here it is surrounding Harpoon and a small Lily Pad. The Pathfinder is in the top/right corner in this frame.

Here is the azalea I mention above in that space back in late autumn of 2011. The Pathfinder is in the right/bottom corner, the gladiolas are at the top. The clausa normalis is in the left/bottom corner. Lakeside Love Affair is on the left but

redcrx

Post by redcrx »

As a point of interest here is what that area looked like in July of 2011 when it looked its best.
The clausa normalis is at the center bottom.
July 2011
July 2011
The "beautiful" variegated holly at the top/left killed a lot of the hosta there - Dragon Fire, Cabaret, the huge Enterprise in flower and a few others all destroyed because I didn't realize what holly would do in a garden. That's Lakeside Love Affair in the middle. Don't know what happened to it - might be buried in the clausa.
Mountainy Man

Post by Mountainy Man »

I'm intrigued, how did the holly kill the hostas, was it a root thing?

clausa seems to be quite the adventurous little tyke. That would drive me crazy and I won't be putting him anywhere near anything important after seeing your photos, thanks.
Denis
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

It took a few years for the clausa to get going.

The holly problem is a root issue. The holly roots got into the crowns and tore them apart. I didn't realize until it was too late. I was able to save some little fragments but most of them died later. I had a beautiful Blue Striptease that a different holly tore up a couple of years ago. I think I have one small fragment left.
You can see it at the top of this topic - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55367

Now my issue is that I have other types of holly, Sky Pencil for instance, that are in range of some of my hosta and I'm debating which should move.
Mountainy Man

Post by Mountainy Man »

I didn't know that hollys had deadly roots, this is useful info to know so I don't run into the same problem, sorry about your losses they looked great.
Denis
New Topic Post Reply