New garden space

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

New garden space

Post by redcrx »

Through a series of events I ended up with a good size area of dead grass. So why not plant more hosta. I'm still clearing the area. The first plant to go in is a Sum and Substance I just got from Chris. The plant was targeted for another spot but that spot had too much tree root competition.
Next to go in will be a huge green hunk that I took off today from my biggest Stained Glass. What's the name for a Stained Glass that went green - how 'bout Mosel.
Sum and Substance 15 01208.JPG
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

Re: New garden space

Post by redcrx »

Some candidates for the new space.
Seducer, my Sum & Substance sport, one of Roger Smith's seedlings:
new space - May 31, 2015
new space - May 31, 2015
The other end.
Another Seducer in back, Sum and Substance, Katsuragawa Beni seedling (out of Art Wrede's collection - looks the same as Katsuragawa Beni but the flower is darker), Volcano Island, and Mr Blue (it's resting on the little stone wall because the pot keeps falling over:
new space - May 31, 2015
new space - May 31, 2015
Some others I'm looking at are Foxfire Palm Sunday from a trough, Formal Attire from a trough, Whatever from a trough.
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Nice spot Ed, can't wait to see it completed.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I may be adding a piece of Independence I cut up.
new garden space - June 1, 2015
new garden space - June 1, 2015
kHT

Post by kHT »

Oh Ed, I see there are more down the fence line, how about making all along the fence a new garden.
Would make for an easier mowing job not to have to mow next to the fence? I look for less to mow
and more places to plant. :wink:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Actually I had been looking at that but didn't feel like tearing-up more grass. It does make sense since there is a large Stained Glass sitting at the end and that's where a little bit of "woods" starts. In fact a little to the left but out of view is a trough of Frances Williams. The original look of the entrance to the garden had been a long row of azalea and hosta but the fence killed that view. But I needed the fence to keep the deer from eating everything. These plants will be under threat of deer. I'll look at the angles involved - it's a lot of space.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I probably will be taking that space also.

I started setting more plants. On the left is the green Stained Glass with a piece of Stained Glass. Along the fence is Seducer, next is Formal Attire, and finally Mr Blue. On the right is Volcano Island and the Katsuragawa Beni seedling. The Independence is still potted.
New garden - June 1, 2015
New garden - June 1, 2015
I added a Devil's Advocate from a trough to the mid-front. And the Independence is now planted.
New garden with Devil's Advocate - June 1, 2015
New garden with Devil's Advocate - June 1, 2015
Here's a better look at the Devil's Advocate. The Stained Glass is to the left.
Devil's Advocate - June 1, 2015
Devil's Advocate - June 1, 2015
And a better look at the Formal Attire.
Formal Attire - June 1, 2015
Formal Attire - June 1, 2015
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Still working on the new space. A boarder went in yesterday.

A point of interest - the boarder is closed-off at the walkway end. I may need to take those blocks out and let this space fill with rain water. The old boarder, under the fence, was part of my water diversion system. There is a down-spout just to the right of the frame. Those blocks now block the water flow and could let it go uncontrolled down the path and bypass my central water collection area. Those couple of flat blocks on the walkway (out of position now) are used to redirect the down-spout water over to the boarder. That Stained Glass at the end of the run never minds getting a lot extra of water when it rains.
new garden space - June 10, 2015
I'm still deciding what plants to add - a small Cinnamon Sticks is slated to go in for lots of late season flowers.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Some of the plants went into the ground today - Seducer on the left, one of my Sum and Substance sports center, Cinnamon Sticks far right and a little above that is a seedling out of Roger Smith's work, a Swoosh sdlg X Grand Marquee. The plant has a hint of a white edge. I've been growing it since 2012.
New garden space - June 11, 2015
Swoosh sdlg X Grand Marquee - June 11, 2015
The next space was cleared.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Some new candidates to go in here. I started looking around for some light centered plants and came up with Gypsy Rose and High Fashion. I also picked a Wheee! for something different. Then I went looking for a "blue" and found an El Nino. I also added June and American Icon to see what they would look like.

From my troughs I'm looking at Jaz, Galaxy, and Rosedale Misty Pathways. They are all sitting in good sun so the move shouldn't bother them too much.
El Nino, June, American Icon, Wheee!, Gypsy Rose, High Fashion - June 11, 2015
El Nino, June, American Icon, Wheee!, Gypsy Rose, High Fashion - June 11, 2015
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I had planned to be done today but it got too hot and too humid too early today. I had cleared the bulk of space last evening. This morning there was only a small spot to do and some tree roots that had been plaguing the space. Then I noticed there were some roots from a holly about five feet away - so that tree had to be removed. And of course the garage door broke this morning so I need to deal with that later today. So the garden didn't get finished.

Here it is this morning with some of the candidates for the spot.
I added laevigata to the mix for its unique flower and its sport Roller Coaster Ride which is in the trough with Jaz, and a Gentle Spirit for its glossy leaves (and its in the same trough). I also grabbed a Fashionista (sport of Designer Genes) - the plant is small but I would like to see if it will grow here.
New garden 2B - June 12, 2015
I think down this thin end it will just be two rows of plants - big ones behind and smaller type up front.
kHT

Post by kHT »

Ed that is going to look sharp!! Keep posting photos, can't wait until you are done.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
Carol O
USDA Zone: 4

Post by Carol O »

It's going to be so nice when it is finished and the plants have filled in. I do hope the deer don't find it.
The only 'bare' spot I have is in the most sunny spot on the property where we had to do some septic work. I've thought about corn and tomatoes, but that hasn't happened.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Fixed the garage door and got back to the garden in the evening.

The plants that went in - Jaz, Rosedale Misty Pathways, Roller Coaster Ride, Gentle Spirit, High Fashion.
New Garden - June 12, 2015
In back of the frame - American Icon still in pot, Galaxy, Jaz and in front are El Nino, laevigata, Gentle Spirit, Roller Coaster Ride.
The far end has June, Wheee!, Whatever (a sport of Whoopee) in back, El Nino.
Here Foxfire Palm Sunday was added.
kHT

Post by kHT »

You did a great job!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Thanks. I'm done for a while. Added a few this morning. There are only about 4 spots left.

From the left side - I added a couple Silver Threads and Golden Needles, and Rhino Hide. Next is June and Wheee! already shown. The new one in back is American Icon. It's a better looking plant than the other one and it's in a different spot - to the left of Whatever.
New Garden - June 13, 2015
Now to the right of Whatever are two new additions - Yoshinogawa to the back and Hyuga Urajiro in front. I wanted those forms in there and I get a couple of streakers and a white-back the Hyuga Urajiro. I hope the El Nino doesn't get too big.
Here is the point. The only new additions are the tiny Fashionista on the point and one on the back edge Cleopatra behind Rosedale Misty Pathways (up and to the right of Jaz).
In this photo Cleopatra is the last along the fence to the left.
The whole space:
Zkathy
USDA Zone: 7a

Post by Zkathy »

Awesome transformation, Ed! I think this quote applies:

"Gardening requires lots of water, most of it in the form of perspiration." -Lou Erickson

Kathy
If you want to understand an entitlement mentality get a cat.
redcrx

Re: New garden space with High Fashion

Post by redcrx »

I have made some changes - no pictures yet. Picked up a couple small plants at the convention in Raleigh - Tilt-A-Whirl and Lightning Flash. Moved Cinnamon Sticks over and added Pin-up next to High Fashion. I'm interested in seeing the difference between the two - somewhere in the literature it was mentioned that they may be the same. In one of the gardens on the tour there was a huge High Fashion and a discussion started about whether this plant was sporting since it had a good white stripe on it and the ones we saw at Tony Avant's didn't have the stripe. My contention was that if you grow it in shade you won't get the stripe but if it gets full sun the white stripe will come out - we will see.

Also added a streaked Satisfaction. It's small but nice.

I will be removing the green Stained Glass - they are too floppy. They will go into a trough. I just ordered a couple from Chris for that spot - Jubilee and Regal Splendor. I got these earlier in the season to fill a space and they look great quickly.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Just got hit by a storm that knocked down 4 trees
a swamp maple branch is now covering half of the new garden
luckily the deer fence is holding it up
Carol O
USDA Zone: 4

Post by Carol O »

That must have been quite a storm!
New Topic Post Reply