New garden space

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: New garden space

Post by redcrx »

It was really bad. We just got power back at noon today. It went out 7 PM Tuesday. It was straight line winds clocked at 75 mph but could have been higher. The trees were just whipped around. I watched it snap the trees.

Three trees, 2 pines and one swamp maple, were snapped maybe halfway up the trunk. The top of one pine is on the ground. The top of the other pine is leaning on its trunk. The swamp maple had a V above the break so when it fell it sheared off the lower branches on both sides of another huge swamp maple next to it. So part of the yard was a sea swamp maple branches. This is the one that covered half my new garden and didn't help a lot of other hosta that it had been shading.

Here is one of the pine. This is right off my deck - you can see some of the bushes in the raised beds at the bottom of the photo. The top is just leaning on the trunk. Another hunk of it or something else is sitting on some of the chairs off to the right.
storm damage - June 23, 2015
storm damage - June 23, 2015
You can see some seedling cups in there.
storm damage - June 24, 2015
Here is my new garden with the swamp maple covering it.
The wind knocked over a fire thorn which I thought would have been protected by the fence. But the wind came along the fence and just just knocked it over. The swamp maples are just behind me in this photo.
Here's the new space tonight.
storm damage - June 25, 2015
storm damage - June 25, 2015
I had planned to go to First Look this weekend but I will be home getting the big tree pieces out.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Here is part of the sea of swamp maple. That Ooh La La at the bottom and Cabaret and Hanky Panky that I show a lot.
This is just to the left of that first photo. The big limb top/left is resting on the fence and covering the new garden.
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I think most plants in there will recover. Gentle Spirit had the most damage and I can replace it with a potted one.
Carol O
USDA Zone: 4

Post by Carol O »

Oh, that is so sad to see all the trees damaged and the cleanup! What a job. :(

We're headed to Maupin, Oregon this morning. 105 today, 108 tomorrow! What happened to our 70-maybe 80's weather?
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Hi Carol, we are getting the cooler weather - only hit 78 today.

I got most of the paths cleared. The big trunks will go out this weekend hopefully. In one of the previous photos you see a chair being hit by a branch - I finally found where that branch came from. When the center pine broke it took down a large branch from the pine next to it. Also damage some other branches that didn't break-off.
paths cleared - June 26, 2015
paths cleared - June 26, 2015
Here is a branch of the center pine landing on a seedling tray. They were some Katsuragawa Beni and/or One Man's Treasure seedlings out of Art Wrede's collection.
something got squashed - June 26, 2015
something got squashed - June 26, 2015
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

We're so sorry to see this damage, Ed. We were quite fortunate: no hail, and only a smaller oak branch fell, doing pretty serious damage to one of our prize Japanese maples.

It was a very scary storm to be driving home in. Part of Route 1 near here had trees fall on it, trapping cars between them.

David
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I'm going to start clearing around the second pine. When it came down it chopped off the top of a swamp maple and some branches from a big wild cherry. It landed in a spot with only a couple hosta.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I got surprised today. My day was planned to drag out two piles of debris; dig up the little Aurora's Glow I found and pot it since it's near one of the downed trees and my get stepped on; re-pot a bunch of squashed survivors I pulled out of the debris yesterday; plant some hosta I ordered from Chris; ...

When I went towards the side gate it was blocked by a "new" problem. The top of a tree from my neighbor's yard had come down last night - luckily missed my house. I knew it was broken from the storm last Tuesday but the only question was when and where would it fall. Well, I found out and it took about 3 hours to clear (and most of my energy).
storm damage - June 30, 2015
After some debris removal:
After more was cleared you can see Mr Blue bottom/left and a bunch of other hosta - no real damage to them.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

A few hours later I removed some debris around the swamp maple that was covering the "New Garden".
The branch in the middle was just pinned there by other branches so I pulled down and got it out. The big branch going to the left is the one over the new garden and resting on the fence. I cut that the whole branch came down. I thought it was attached to the tree behind it but it was just a branch from the front tree that had snapped on its own in the storm.
Now it's clear I can add some new plants in. Jubilee and Regal Splendor came in today.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Added yesterday:
Regal Splendor with Devil's Advocate in flower in front of it:
Regal Splendor added - July 1, 2015
And a different angle:
Jubilee between Stained Glass on the left and American Icon on the right:
Jubilee added - July 1, 2015
Jubilee added - July 1, 2015
I had planned to have them in the opposite positions but realized the color of Seducer is very similar to Jubilee and I wanted a different look.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Oh Ed, that was so not nice of Mother Nature to throw her fit. You worked so hard on the new garden and
even harder getting it back to normal. Wish this weather would straighten out some as it's hotter than
you know what out here.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

An update:
Here is the new garden last Sunday. The Yoshinogawa did not like the move to more sun. I didn't think this would happen because it was already getting full sun for a couple of hours but here it gets more and doesn't like it - it's growing new leaves after the others got toasted. The Hyuga Urajiro that I thought would have a sun problem didn't have any problem - it was in bright shade and never had full sun and this move never fazed it.
New Garden - July 12, 2015
The last of the storm damage got cleared out on Tuesday. One of my raised beds got damaged but no hosta were hurt. They had been moved long before.
storm damage - July 14, 2015
storm damage - July 14, 2015

Had to remove all of the one broken pine tree that was still in the air because it was too dangerous to try to take just the broken part off. I wanted the 20 feet of trunk to remain because it had a climbing hydrangea on it. It was taken down into an area without many hosta in the way. My Night before Christmas may never be the same - it was the worst hit.
Night before Christmas - July 14, 2015
Night before Christmas - July 14, 2015
sawdust everywhere - July 14, 2015
sawdust everywhere - July 14, 2015
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Some photos from yesterday. I was weeding this space and noticed deer hoof prints but minor damage - mostly to the large Stained Glass at the far end of the garden.
Cleopatra:
Cleopatra - August 7, 2015
Cleopatra - August 7, 2015
Devil's Advocate:
Devil's Advocate - August 7, 2015
Devil's Advocate - August 7, 2015
Formal Attire:
Formal Attire - August 7, 2015
Formal Attire:
Regal Splendor:
Regal Splendor - August 7, 2015
Regal Splendor - August 7, 2015
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I also added another plant - one of my seedlings - a Lily Pad OP from 2012.
This is a sibling of the white flowered plant I showing in the "seedling" topic -
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=60338&start=20#p500180
Lily Pad OP 2012 seedling - August 7, 2015
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Added another one today. A Fruit Punch I just got from Chris went into the middle.
Just to the right of the post.

It's funny how some hosta got upset with the move while others just took off. The Jaz was growing in sun but got fried with the move - just to the right and down from Fruit Punch. But Cleopatra (next along the fence to the right) wasn't bothered.
New Garden - August 26, 2015
And Whatever in the middle of this photo was in bright shade and the move to full sun didn't bother it. It's in flower now.
Some individual photos:
Galaxy
Satisfaction streaked
Gypsy Rose going into late flower
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Started cleaning out this space today. It's amazing how the weeds and grass grew in here all winter while the hosta were asleep. It's not too bad: large chick-weed clumps that come out easily; cardinal flower weedlings with a good size root ball that like to nestle up next to the hosta; clumps of grass, a few other odd weeds; a couple of wild strawberries; oak leaves, small branches, pine needles and pine cones.

Only seem to be missing one - a tiny Lemon Frost which I didn't think would make it anyway. Had a hard time finding Independence and Rhino Hide. They are just nubs breaking the surface. I have High Fashion and Pin-up sitting right next to each other and I can't tell the difference. Pin-up did put up a "nice" all blue sprout/sport?(who knows?). I took it off and potted it. Actually thought about leaving it on and letting it grow but it would probably dominate the spot and take away from my trying to compare High Fashion and Pin-up. I think it would have covered the 5 sprouts of Pin-up. I should get some photos tomorrow when I finish cleaning the back edge of the garden.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Potted piece of Pin-up - all blue.
Blue Pin-up - April 20, 2016
Blue Pin-up - April 20, 2016
Volcano Island center/left, Katsuragawa Beni seedling top/left, Foxfire Palm Sunday bottom/right, Red October far right (was in the old garden before the fence went up).
New Garden - April 21, 2016
Cleopatra
Fruit Punch
Some of these are showing frost damage.
Carol O
USDA Zone: 4

Post by Carol O »

I'm glad you posted updates. I'm in the processes of making a new garden space. I'm hoping it has enough sun, it is very shady at the moment but the sun will rise higher and I'm hoping will shine on this spot at least for a little while, late afternoon.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

New Garden Space today with thing filling out.

Nearly Far Left - there is still a huge Stained Glass to the left (the only original plant in that area:
From left to right - Jubilee, Tilt-a-Whril, Rhino Hide (not up yet), Satisfaction streaked, June, American Icon, Wheee!, Whatever.
New Garden Space - April 28, 2016
Mid Left:
From left to right - Whatever (again), El Nino, Hyuga Urajiro, Yoshinogawa, laevigata, Galaxy, Lightning Flash.
Center:
From left to right - Lightning Flash and Galaxy on the left edge, Roller Coaster Ride, a small Gentle Spirit above RCR, Jaz, tiny Fashionista (front with a light globe sitting on top of it), High Fashion, Pin-up, Rosedale Misty Pathways, Sum and Substance sport of mine, Cinnamon Sticks (front).
Mid Right:
Top left corner - some in previous photo - Rosedale Misty Pathways, Sum and Substance sport of mine, Fruit Punch, Cleopatra, Seducer.
From left to right - seedling from Roger Smith a cross of a Swoosh sdlg X Grand Marquee (front), small Gypsy Rose (front), Regal Splendor (center), Devil's Advocate (front), Stained Glass (above DA), Sum and Substance.
Far Right:
From left to right - Sum and Substance, Formal Attire (top edge), tiny Independence (front), KB seedling, Mr Blue, Volcano Island, Foxfire Palm Sunday, group of small Red October (front).
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Here is the space today. I was posting some individual photos on other HotD topics so I thought I would put these up. I did add one new hosta a couple of days ago - Ice Age Trail - to the far left in front of Stained Glass.
"New Garden" - June 3, 2016
New Topic Post Reply