Hallson Summer Hosta Swap

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

rosey_posey
USDA Zone: 5b

Re: Hallson Summer Hosta Swap

Post by rosey_posey »

Dave,

I am so glad you like your plants. I was very happy to see your list updated to include the ones you didn't have in your collection! It made it so easy to choose for you! I've ordered from Hallson's before, so I know you'll be very happy with the size of the plants.
hostaanita
USDA Zone: 6

Post by hostaanita »

Just received my goodie parcel from Pieter. So exciting. I received Sea Octopus,Amber Tiara , Hyacinthina and two seedlings from his garden. Everything arrived in perfect shape.It's like Christmas receiving this box of Hosta in the mall . Thank you soooo much Pieter and thank you ZZTopsoil for arranging this swap. :snow: :lol:
    Making our world beautiful , one backyard at a time.
    morgansrgr8
    USDA Zone: 5

Post by morgansrgr8 »

Thankyou, The information is very helpful. Its nice having a connection to the hosta. Many years ago I got to talk to Peter Ruh when he had Mark Zilis there as a speaker. I got to talk to Mark too. Didn't know very much about hosta back then because now I would have a hundred questions. Loved some of the sports Mark brought with him but couldn't talk him out of any of them. lol I just knew I like them. Now to put the new hosta on my hosta list with your name attached so I remember where I got them.
    Linda
    I know I am past the point of no return but what a way to go.

My Hosta List
    DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I may have been at that talk by Mark Zilis when he brought a bunch of little plants to show, at Peter Ruh's. I have been there to hear him talk several times. It is only about 15 minutes from my house.
    bkay2000
    USDA Zone: 8a

Post by bkay2000 »

Thanks everyone for sharing your swaps. It's a joy to share your new hosta.

bk
    Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Received the plants from Chris Gaebel today! He sent me 'Christmas Tree', 'Ripple Effect', 'Frosted Mouse Ears' and montana 'Aureomarginata'. Thanks Chris, they were waiting on my doorstep when I got home @ 9 tonight, they'll be planted out tomorrow morning. I'm particularly pleased with 'Ripple Effect', what a charmer!
    Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
    ZZTOPSOIL
    Location: Oregon(O.S.U.~Go Beavers!)...In the Beautiful Willamette Valley!

Post by ZZTOPSOIL »

OK...
    Today (Monday July 20th)... is the Deadline Day for Shipping. :eek:
    Just for Those of You Still Packing.

Also...If You Have Not Posted Letting Us Know What You Received(by Name of Hosta)...
    Please Do So...Inquiring Minds Want to Know.
    :D
    -Lelan.
    ~Growing for Today...Saving for Tomorrows~

My Hosta List
    morgansrgr8

Post by morgansrgr8 »

My package is sent and on its way out west somewhere. Bet you can guess who is getting it. LOL
    Receipt says expected delivery is the 23rd. Hope it gets there sooner than that.
    Linda

My Hosta List
    grdnnkd

Post by grdnnkd »

I am late in posting my thanks to Beth. She sent three wonderful hosta, two of which I tried to purchase twice, but for some reason, I saved them for later (lucky for me).

I receive great divisions of Lakeside Cupcake, Stirfry and Raspberry Sorbet. They are great selections and I already have spots selected for them, but still have to expand the area and remove some more grass! My neighbor came over this evening and had plant envy!

The neatest part for me is that they came from Webster. That was my hometown in Wisconsin, a nice coincidence.

Thanks so much Beth.

A big thanks to Lelan for organizing and to hall sons for allowing us to have the swap!

Brian
    grdnnkd's Hosta List
    Latitude: 46° 78' N; Longitude: -92° 12' W
    grdnnkd

Post by grdnnkd »

Carol O wrote:So much fun!
    I looked up the ones Brian sent ZZTOPSOIL. I could only find Glory and Zuzu's Petal in the HostaLibrary. That Glory is a good looker.
    I bought Wishing Well last year. It hasn't bloomed yet, but I'm looking forward to doing some hybridizing with it, also.
    Carol-

I went with a Minnesota theme. All plants except for Marion Bachman were from the hybridizer Savory, who gave us Golden Tiara. Savory's is located in the Twin Cities. If you're interested in seeing them , checkout savorygardens on the web. Marion Bachman. Was discovered by the Bachmann nursery family also from the Twin cities area.

It's fun to try and select plants that may not be readily available for others.

I always look up other trade plants to see the variations and see what I should add to the gardens. Usually the plants traded grow well as they grew enough to be split.

Brian
    grdnnkd's Hosta List
    Bigdaddy1

Post by Bigdaddy1 »

I received my box of goodies at the end of last week. Thank you to Anita!

In the box was:

Green With Envy
    Salute
    Lakeside Lollypop
    Anne Arette

All are planted and waiting a permanent place in the garden.

Chris.
    Carol O
    USDA Zone: 4

Post by Carol O »

That's neat, Brian grdnnkd, that you did a theme. I looked the others up in the Hostapedia and think I found all of them. I wondered if you had a connection with Savoy. :D
    grdnnkd

Post by grdnnkd »

Carol-

Nope, no connection to Savorys. Every few years I visit the gardens to see all the varieties that they sell. I'm always amazed how much bigger their plants are compared to mine. I guess I have a way to go with soil amendments. Someday they'll be big. If they say large I say medium if small I say mini, if they say mini, mine are micro! I guess that the weather 3 hours north has an impact!
    grdnnkd's Hosta List
    Carol O

Post by Carol O »

Wow. wow, I'm overwhelmed.
    Thank you so very much zztopsoil, lelan.
    I took a few photos for you and bk.
    I start by opening the box and taking out your nice newsy, informational letter, and the first hosta: Night Before Christmas
    Attachments
    Plants received from hosta exchange.jpg
    Carol O

Post by Carol O »

I realized quickly, I would need more than a glass or two!
    Attachments
    See him there, reading the newspaper?
    See him there, reading the newspaper?
    Plants received from hosta exchange_0002.jpg
    Plants received from hosta exchange_0001.jpg
    Plants received from hosta exchange_0001.jpg (33.76 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
    Last edited by Carol O on Jul 22, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Carol O

Post by Carol O »

I ended up going outside and getting a 5 gallon bucket while my dh read the news from Corvallis. News he shared with me that the paper dated July 15, 2015 said that the last of Boston's snow pile had melted from the 100's of inches of snow this winter! That's just a side, folks, back to hostas.
    I unwrapped a total of 12 (12!) hostas!
    Alice In Wonderland, Antioch, Fragrant Bouquet, Honeybells, Invincible, Night Before Christmas, Patriot's Fire, Radiant Edger, Regal Splendor, Striptease, Teaspoon, Toy Soldier!!!!
    Whew, did I get them all? I am so thankful, in awe, overwhelmed! Lelan, you outdid yourself. I lost my Night Before Christmas this winter so am thankful for a replacement. The other 11, I am so excited to have them all. I was actually hoping for a fragrant hosta in the exchange. Invincible is used in so many lovely crosses I've seen posted that I look forward to its blooming. I'm not familiar with A in W, P's F, or Toy Soldier. I bought some Teaspoon seeds to grow, once, so thrilled to have the mom plant. I just got into the Striptease family with Kiwi Full Monty last summer.
    Oh, thank you, thank you again. I, too, have a "Great Appreciation, Passion, and Love for Hostas!"
    We should put together a west coast tour, you could tour my yard, I could tour yours and we could make stops at Rosemarie's and Happy's.
    Attachments
    Plants received from hosta exchange_0004.jpg
    Plants received from hosta exchange_0004.jpg (33.1 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
    Plants received from hosta exchange_0006.jpg
    Plants received from hosta exchange_0005.jpg
    bkay2000
    USDA Zone: 8a

Post by bkay2000 »

Thanks for sharing.

bk
    rosey_posey
    USDA Zone: 5b

Post by rosey_posey »

I got my package today from morgansrgr8! Thanks so much for all the goodies! :D It's like Christmas in July. I received the following hosta:

Quill, Imp, Mister Watson, Miss Linda Smith, Bill Dress's Blue and X-Ray. Then she attached little metal tags for my convenience! Thanks so much for that added touch! She also included a seedling hibiscus that she started from seed. I do love hibiscus, so that's going to be fun to watch and see what color blooms it has on it! I've tried to grow from seed, but have never had luck keeping them thru the winter.

Again a big thanks,
    Rose

Edited to add that I now have them all potted up after soaking in some water for a while.
    Attachments
    004.JPG
    morgansrgr8

Post by morgansrgr8 »

I hope they all do well for you. Everything I sent you has done very well for me here in Ohio. The slowest growing for me has been Imp but then it sported and had to be divided.
    I started out with 4 different colors of hibiscus and have started from seed about 10 other plants. Most have turned out to be pink. I have found they hate being moved once planted but the one I gave you has been growing in a pot.
    Linda

My Hosta List
    ZZTOPSOIL
    Location: Oregon(O.S.U.~Go Beavers!)...In the Beautiful Willamette Valley!

Post by ZZTOPSOIL »

And with that Folks...

We are Finished!
    "Thank You's" to Everyone that Participated.
    It was Another Successful Hosta Swap!
    With Some Beautiful Hostas Being Sent.
    -Lelan.
    ~Growing for Today...Saving for Tomorrows~

My Hosta List
    New Topic Post Reply