smaller hosta

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
boops
USDA Zone: 6b

smaller hosta

Post by boops »

Anyone in the northeast experience their hosta being smaller this year? Some are same as last year, most are half the size they were last year. Nearly lost my Ripple effect, its so small I hope it makes it to next spring. Even some of my lilies are half the height. Just wondering.
My Hosta List

Do one thing everyday that makes you happy
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: smaller hosta

Post by Chris_W »

Sorry to hear it :( Tree roots can be the biggest cause of this, or drought from the previous year, or simply soil that is compacting too much. I sure hope your garden isn't being taken over by trees. If that is the case then you might need to do some extra work to save some of them.
boops

Post by boops »

In one area there are no trees near them, but the soil is kind of hard, ripple effect wasn't even near a tree the only ones really near trees are abba dabba do and about 5 others -I may move dig them up in the fall and cut back the tree roots and throw in some Gypsum in the dirt. I'll check all the roots on the others when its cooler out. I water all my hosta daily, maybe they need some soaking. I thought maybe the late freeze this spring may have contributed to the issue.
My Hosta List

Carol O
USDA Zone: 4

Post by Carol O »

My Sum and Substance, and August Moon are just shadows of themselves this year because of the drought and heat last year. Last year we had several weeks of 90 + and I was not home to water.
boops

Post by boops »

I think its from the winter weather, I just dug up 5 that didn't get the size they were last year and there were no tree roots, a little bit of compacted soil and the soil under was dry. So I loosened the dirt, added composted soil, watered deeply and replanted. I'm about to drag the hose around and soak the dirt in all my Hosta gardens. Hopefully that helps. As for my little Ripple effect, not near any roots at all, consistently watered, however barely any sun. I moved it to a little sunnier place, hope it comes back.
My Hosta List

Carol O
USDA Zone: 4

Post by Carol O »

I hope they come back for you. I dug up my August Moon and repotted the pitiful little thing in 3 1gallon pots. There's not much I can do for the Sum and Substance except try and give it more water this summer.
boops

Post by boops »

Hoping yours make a come back also. I lost about 4 perennials over the winter too. You know the freeze thaw syndrome. :-? Good luck.
My Hosta List

New Topic Post Reply