Question about transplanted hosta

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
grdngrl3
USDA Zone: 6b

Question about transplanted hosta

Post by grdngrl3 »

I received a portion of a divided hosta from a neighbor and planted it in a pot to quarantine it and let it grow. The plant is a mature Sagae or a sport of Sagae (not sure because it is not really big) and the deer got it the very first night in my yard taking every single leaf. Since then the remaining stalks have begun to droop.

I am wondering if the roots will remain viable and grow a new plant next year? I do not know that much about tranplant shock but this poor plant surely must have gone through something.

Should I trim back the drooping stalks? How should I care for it so that it has a chance to grow new growth this year and/or next year? :| :|

I want to be sure to try to save it so any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: Question about transplanted hosta

Post by Tigger »

I would leave it be and see what happens. If the poor petioles decay completely, take them off. Sagae may put out some new leaves. Just tuck the pot into a hidden place (but where you'll remember to water it some).

David
Eleven
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by Eleven »

Definitely leave the plant as is. I had rabbits eat Elvis Lives one year, all but a couple inches of petioles. I transplanted the roots to a bed where I wouldn't see it and curse the rabbits every day.. I honestly can't remember if it got new leaves that summer, but it came up normally the next spring, just a little smaller. It's fine now, though the rabbits always take a few nibbles in the spring. Must be tasty.
Hosta Elvis Lives 2015-0619 small.jpg
~Shawna
grdngrl3
USDA Zone: 6b

Post by grdngrl3 »

Thanks guys. I was hoping there was hope for this plant, though I am bummed that I don't get to see the pretty leaves anymore this season. I moved the plant closer to the house and will keep the soil moist. Thanks for that tip, David.

And, Shawna - that Elvis Lives is really a beautiful plant. Looks great, especially with the lighter green plants around it. Hmmm....may have to get one of those. :D Glad to hear your plant came back completely.
hostaanita
USDA Zone: 6

Post by hostaanita »

I have had many Hosta eaten to the ground by deer . It's so disappointing . Sometimes I get few small leaves by seasons end. I try to protect them from further damage so they aren't damaged again and make sure they get lots of water.good luck.
    Making our world beautiful , one backyard at a time.
    New Topic Post Reply