Re: Hosta of the Day - Cheesecake nope Allan P. McConnell

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

Cheesecake is a streaky unstable sport of Vera Verde.

Hosta Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... Cheesecake
MyHostas Database - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Cheesecake
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/c/cheesecake.html

I have had this plant since 2010 and it has never had much white center streaking. Mostly it's a small green with a very thin white edge. It's similar to a few others.
Cheesecake - July 30, 2015
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: Hosta of the Day - Cheesecake

Post by Tigger »

Yeah, I've never seen a streaky one.

For the record, "Cheesecake" was also the branded version of what sure looked like 'Allan P. McConnell', under the Martha Stewart plants (for KMart?) label. That didn't last for long, and I don't think any serious hosta resellers picked up that name, given the confusion. Given how Vera Verde (or your non-streaky 'Cheesecake' can look like APM, one might forgive her for rebranding a hosta with a challenging name. But then no one is going to name a hosta for Martha Stewart, are they?

A Google search today makes me think I've lost my mind, with no useful hits.
Bill Meyer

Re: Hosta of the Day - Cheesecake

Post by Bill Meyer »

Hi Ed,

As you can see in the Library pictures from George, Cheesecake is a Vera Verde that has a fair amount of sectorial chimeras in it. It should never have been registered because sectorial chimeras never stabilize, so are just a temporary thing. They didn't know that back then. It may be reappearing these days but I doubt any pieces of an original plant remain.

Clearly you don't have Cheesecake, but if you did it wouldn't stay that way for long.

A sectorial chimera is a sport where the new tissue ignores the boundary between the L1 (margin) and L2 (center) layers, giving rise to half and half leaves and stripes that cross the whole leaf. For whatever reason they are never stable.

...........Bill Meyer
If you thought the auction was fun, come to the meeting!
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

I was going to update this topic but then noticed the discussion above and followed the discussion back to 'Allan P. McConnell' from 2007. This pushed me to look at Zilis's Hostapedia. His photos of 'Cheesecake' and 'Allan P. McConnell' are virtually identical and completely different from the one in the Hosta Library. My guess is that what I have is the Martha Stewart version of 'Allan P. McConnell'.
Allan P. McConnell - August 26, 2017
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
New Topic Post Reply