Hosta of the day - Forbidden Fruit

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Hosta of the day - Forbidden Fruit

Post by redcrx »

Forbidden Fruit is a tetraploid sport of Orange Marmalade.

Hosta Registry - not registered
MyHostas Database - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Forbidden+Fruit
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/f/forbiddenfruit.html

I picked this up today. It grabbed my attention when I saw it. Hopefully it will look as good next season.
Forbidden Fruit - August 23, 2015
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

Re: Hosta of the day - Forbidden Fruit

Post by redcrx »

Here is Forbidden Fruit today.
Forbidden Fruit - June 12, 2016
Forbidden Fruit - June 12, 2016
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Nice increase from first season to second.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Some Forbidden Fruit in my garden - I think I have 6 of them.
This first one is doing OK in an area where I have trouble with tree roots. The little plants in the bottom right corner should be huge Frances Williams. The one above and right is a weedling.
Forbidden Fruit - May 17, 2017
These two are in my biggest Striptease type area. That's Risky Business above them with a Kiwi Full Monty and a Hanky Panky to the right. Above the KFM is a Spilt Milk with a Pistach to its left. Above Spilt Milk is an Alan Titchmarsh with another Forbidden Fruit in the top/left corner ( hmmm, that makes 7 FF's I think).
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

When I'm posting photos of plants, I try to avoid some of the mess that can be around them in my garden. I have a photo of one of the Forbidden Fruit showing some "mess".
This space was planted with Frances Williams, Whirlwind, and Fragrant Bouquet many years ago. They looked great for a couple of years and then they disintegrated - I think it's tree roots.
Today it's a mess with tiny pieces of the original plants and many weedlings from an Elegans that was in the space also but I think voles took it out.
Here's Forbidden Fruit in the middle with a Japanese Painted Fern on the left - it looks great. Also there is some variegated holly on the left - this is a holly that is deadly to hosta if planted too close - this distance should not be a problem.
A little above and to the right of FF are a couple of remnants of Frances Williams and you can see a tiny piece of Whirlwind above and slightly left of the weedling above FF. Along the top edge and right of center are a couple of fragments of Fragrant Bouquet. The tall plant on the right edge center is a Krossa Regal that seems OK this season - it's been in there 8 seasons now - might have gotten hit by voles a few years ago. I put the two troughs in that space to hide the barrenness of the space. That's Paradise Sunset in the left trough on the left side. The big green thing on the other end of that trough is a green sport of Ginko Craig that I just dug up because it was over-running the garden space I had it in - not much to look at except when it's full of flowers. I think that's Smokey in the other trough.
The other plants in that space are weedlings with a lot of different shapes.
Attachments
Forbidden Fruit - May 18, 2017
Forbidden Fruit - May 18, 2017
New Topic Post Reply