Does your 'Blue Angel' set seed?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Don Rawson

Does your 'Blue Angel' set seed?

Post by Don Rawson »

Zilis says 'Blue Angel' has "sparse pod formation" (The Hostapedia, page 117). However, I have seen situations where it produced a lot of seed. Also, 'Earth Angel'. What's your experience? Should it be on the list as a reluctant pod producer, posted at http://www.hostalists.org/hosta_list_sterh.php ?
Carol O
USDA Zone: 4

Re: Does your 'Blue Angel' set seed?

Post by Carol O »

I get scapes and scapes of pods with lots of seeds on 'Blue Angel.' I don't know about 'Earth Angel.'
I've not kept any of the seedlings from 'Blue Angel,' though, because they are ho-hum and nothing special.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

In dry conditions I get a few pods on blue angel and those set a ton of seed. In more moist conditions I see a lot more seed. I haven't checked on Earth Angel but I don't see why it wouldn't be that different from its parent.
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

That seems a very odd claim from Mark. Maybe compared to other sieboldiana types? I'm not sure that I have a verifiable BA clone (was a pass-along, but definitely not Elegans or its ilk), but I think it always sets pods.

It is interesting, though, that Hugo's database doesn't list any offspring with BA as pod parent. Nor (based on a quick read) do any of its sports. So maybe Mark is right?

I don't have Earth Angel. I do have Dream Maker, and I also note that Hugo's (borrowed) description says that one "only sets viable seed on occasion." We have Duke of Cornwall in a pot, so never let pods form when it blooms (aesthetics). Again per Hugo, Barry Sligh says that Kiwi Ingenuity "is fertile."

David
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I should mention that the seeds from Blue Angel here are viable as we see lots of blue seedlings in that area and it is the only blue hosta there. But who needs more big blue seedlings?

Sum and Substance is also listed as not setting seed but it really just depends on the growing situation and available moisture during flowering time. We still see lots of seed set on our giant clumps of Sum and Substance next to our wetland but I'm not sure how viable they are.
Carol O
USDA Zone: 4

Post by Carol O »

I've grown some Sum and Substance seeds and they have been small and not distinct.
When I read that there were no Blue Angel offspring registered, I figured it wasn't because there aren't any or the seed doesn't germinate, but because they just look like more Blue Angel.
New Topic Post Reply