Hosta that change both colors

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Hosta that change both colors

Post by redcrx »

In the write-up for Strip Poker on the First Look auction it mentioned that the plant changes both center and margin colors during the season. And that few hosta do that. That got me thinking - I have a "bunch" that do that so I started to list them. Well, first of all the BULK are down the Gold Standard/Striptease line. The only one not in that family is Silver Threads and Gold Needles but that family with Stolen Kiss and Illicit Affair do other color changes for another topic like Magically Appearing Colors.

In the Striptease line are:
Strip Poker
Kiwi Dotterel
Playmate
Hanky Panky
Yellow Polka Dot Bikini
Jezebel

Dubious Behavior - sport of Hanky Panky

Direct sports of Gold Standard:
Flip Flop
Collector's Banner (with some other color variations)
Aurora's Glow

Captain's Adventure (with some other color variations) - sport of Captain Kirk a sport of Gold Standard

I also have another unnamed Gold Stanard sport that does this - GS Rev var G

Please add to my list.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Hosta that change both colors

Post by Chris_W »

I think you covered it pretty dang good Ed :) All the ones I know of and the vast majority on your list are from the fortunei group with a Gold Standard background. Seems to be a common possibility with this family but not many others, though it could just be due to the very unstable nature of this group.
Don Rawson

Re: Hosta that change both colors

Post by Don Rawson »

I refer to these as "flip flop" hostas because the colors flip flop during the growing season. Some are more obvious then others. There is a list posted at http://www.hostalists.org/hosta_list_flip.php.
New Topic Post Reply