This year's babies

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

This year's babies

Post by Tigger »

I only collected pods from late-season stuff last year, making crosses with Lightning Flash (streaker) and Ringtail (not streaked), including the crosses between the two. I'll admit to sloppiness in not writing down the actual crosses, hoping that I can ID the pollen parents (I know the likely suspects) once the babies grow up. For example, the streaked babies highlighted here (center front cup) certainly seem like they could be LF x Ringtail, where the cup just left of that one is probably a cross with something gold (a couple of possibilities).

I kind of like this disposable cup idea. It makes it very easy to label them and keep track. You can use one cup a couple of times by crossing out things that didn't work. (I planted tiny seeds of Hyuga Urajiro, but got no germination, so re-used that cup.)

It's time to cull some of the Ringtail babies and get rid of boring greenies from Lightning Flash.
Attachments
Group shot. Ringtail seedlings in the back (blue cups).
Group shot. Ringtail seedlings in the back (blue cups).
One of the Lightning Flash crosses (just streakers).
One of the Lightning Flash crosses (just streakers).
Carol O
USDA Zone: 4

Re: This year's babies

Post by Carol O »

I did a lot of crosses with Ringtail last summer and am enjoying watching the seedlings grow. Thanks for posting yours.
New Topic Post Reply