streaker question

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
playinmud

streaker question

Post by playinmud »

Hello everyone,

Unfortunately I haven't posted in a long time, life has just gotten in the way (some good/some bad), but I hope it's okay to jump back in with a question and start joining in again.

I have a BIG 'Sea Prize' that has 3-4 green eyes and I'd like to know how you would attack splitting out the non-streaked ones.

Thank you,

Donna
playinmud

Re: streaker question

Post by playinmud »

I guess I'll just dig it up and attack it with a sharp kitchen knife.

Donna
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi there!

Yes, the only way to really attack these is to dig them up and use a sharp knife. I buy steak knives at the dollar store (4 for $2.00) that prove very useful for dividing hostas. I rinse off all of the dirt using a jet spray nozzle, sort of a driveway sweeper type, so it is a really good blast. Then I cut the hosta apart with the knife.

Hopefully those solid eyes are easy to get at and isolated to just one spot.

Then after I get it divided I soak the part(s) I want to save in some cold water for about an hour and then replant.

Good luck!

Chris
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Thanks a bunch Chris!

I never would have thought to remove the dirt. And I'll have to hit the dollar store (better than ruining my chef knife :D ). I may even keep one of the green pieces, it is a really lovely lime green, I don't have any other hosta in the garden that color.

Hope you are well, great to hear from you.

Thanks,
Donna
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
New Topic Post Reply