Something new of Blue Mouse Ears?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Strzezymir
USDA Zone: 4a

Something new of Blue Mouse Ears?

Post by Strzezymir »

I found a quite interesting mutation of my Blue Mouse Ears last year and separated in the fall. This year it looks quite well. I grow One Iota Supreme and Royal Mouse Ears, but this one is completely diffrent and does not look like any of them at stages of the season. In my opinion it also differs from Blue Mouse Ears Supreme according to the pictures, I have never seen it live. And from the other streaked form of regular Mouse varieties. Actually the leaves of the mutation are yellow with green streakes, what is also visible at the leaf petioles. Of course it is still young and needs time to stabilize. I wonder what you think.
streaked_blue_mouse_ears.jpg
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: Something new of Blue Mouse Ears?

Post by Tigger »

Very interesting. The leaves are much more pointed than other BME sports, like Chris's 'Field Rat'.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Definitely a flashy sport!

A lot of the mouse family has more pointy leaves when they are young, but I've also seen some that never seem to want to grow out of that trait. And I don't even know how many thousands of plants we've grown in the Blue Mouse Ears family now, but I've never found a streaked one that nice :)

The problem, though, with the streaked ones is that no two plants are alike. Your division of One Iota Supreme or Royal Mouse Ears might not resemble the original or look like any other example in any other garden. It is really the nature of them to be very unstable, and why it is really hard to sell them and keep them all looking the same.

Thanks for sharing yours!

Chris
Strzezymir
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by Strzezymir »

For me, of course, this sport is special, how could it be otherwise :)? However, the only opinion of others really matters. Especially the ones of professional enthusiasts. Many thanks for kind words. I agree, if someone had 100 One Iota Supreme (or RME), each of them would be diffrent.
In this case the most promising seems to be the fact that the base color of leaves is yellow and in this way the chances of keeping the sport are higher than those of leaves with green or blue-green. Although, among my Mouse three times has happened a stricte yellow mutation. Two of them (of Lucky Mouse) did not survive one season. The third one of Frosted Mouse Ears was separated this year in May and time will tell. If it is only the case of a lack of chlorophyll, it likely to prove deadly to the hosta. However, so far so good, the yellow colour is turning to chartreuse, no traces of sun burns. It is a very slow grower and still small, the leaves are about 4 cm long...
hosta_frosted_mouse_ears_mutacja.jpg
Do you have any good experience with such a kind of mutation of Mouse variety? As far as I know, on the market there are three yellow Mouse (Mice, right ? :)) but they are all hybrids – Sun Mouse, Giantland Mouse Cheese and Giantland Sunny Mouse. So, breeding the stable yellow sport seems to be very unlikely.
I am more a reader of your forum than a participant and I find it very interesting. And I wrote twice and every time I got the answer from you Chris. Well, this is extraordinary that you write off personally. I really appreciate it. Once more, many thanks :).
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Beautiful! :D Very impressive.

I haven't had any success with any of the "mice", they all disappear after a season or two.

Thanks for sharing with us,
Donna
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
New Topic Post Reply