Happy T Day to everyone and H. Quill question

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
waldo
USDA Zone: 6a

Happy T Day to everyone and H. Quill question

Post by waldo »

Happy Thanksgiving! I have a question regarding H. Quill. If any of you have it, maybe you could shed some light on the comment in The Hosta Library "As the last flower fades, it puts out a small new scape from the top of the old one. ". I am curious as to exactly what this means and if anyone has seen it. One of my hybridizing goals is flower improvement. And I'm wondering if this trait is worth exploring. TIA
Pieter

Re: Happy T Day to everyone and H. Quill question

Post by Pieter »

Waldo, Happy Thanksgiving!

Fair question, the comment you're referring to however is not on the HL itself, it is in the link to Hugo Philips' site. Hugo collects the comments he shows from various commercial sites offering the plant in question for sale, there's no real way of attributing the comment in question to anyone in particular. Having said that, Hugo contributed one of the pictures shown for Quill and it might be an idea to contact him, however there is no contact link on his website. Contact me via private message and I'll see if I can find a current e-mail address for him, the only one I have right now is from 2009 and quite possibly no longer valid.
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Happy T Day to everyone and H. Quill question

Post by redcrx »

I have been growing the plant for a while and have never seen that from the scape.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58073
Quill - July 30, 2015
Quill - July 30, 2015
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
New Topic Post Reply