Took a quick trip to Winterthur

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Took a quick trip to Winterthur

Post by redcrx »

I had taken a trip to Winterthur (a large arboretum near Willmington, Delaware) in mid-July a couple of years ago - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60663. On that trip I noticed a huge swath of hosta ventricosa at the end of their flower cycle. I was wondering what they would look like in full flower so I stopped by on Tuesday to see if they were in flower yet. The vast area I saw had their scapes up but no open flowers. The only open flowers were on a few plants that were elevated and in sun.
With the AHS National Hosta Convention in Philadelphia next year I thought it might be an interesting site to see this space in full flower but "it's a crap shoot".
some venticosa at Winterthur - June 27, 2017
This is the space I was looking for but only scapes so far. I talked to one of the gardeners and she said the flowering time is variable depending on temperature and humidity. She said the Spring was cool so they may be a little late. (I did notice a cool Spring that let me work in my garden longer in the mornings.)
I went to get a photo of an unopened scape in the area I was interested in and by accident picked one with a fused scape.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

Re: Took a quick trip to Winterthur

Post by redcrx »

A few more photos from that trip. This is just behind the mansion and up the hill. (You can tour the mansion - the Christmas time tours are great.)
Attachments
IMAG1582.jpg
IMAG1583.jpg
IMAG1584.jpg
IMAG1585.jpg
IMAG1586.jpg
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

Re: Took a quick trip to Winterthur

Post by redcrx »

And a few more of the space up the hill virtually covered by ventricosa. They do have some other types of hosta around the "Enchanted Woods" (kids play area) and towards the Quarry Garden (just down the hill from the "Enchanted Woods") but I wasn't interested in those on this trip.
IMAG1588.jpg
The tram ride goes right through the space.
IMAG1590.jpg
IMAG1594.jpg
IMAG1596.jpg
IMAG1598.jpg
New Topic Post Reply