Another "New Garden"

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Another "New Garden"

Post by redcrx »

I finally got around to cleaning out one of my front plant beds. This garden has azaleas and hardy orchids and a few other things. It had gotten overgrown with saplings of a tree nearby and some-kind of a wild berry (nasty thorns that irritate my skin if I get poked). But those I can just cut down to remove the eye-sore. The real problem is a red water iris that was running amok and took out a good portion of the lawn. (The hardy orchids were also out-of-control but they grow slower.) I dug out the iris but then had a huge mess on the lawn. Hmmm, a place for more Hosta - I planned to take out more grass and put in some patio blocks for weed control.
Monday I took out the iris. These are shots from Tuesday where I have taken out more grass in front of the bed.
The hardy orchids are top right.
new garden space - June 27, 2017
This is looking further down the bed where I marked the end of the "new" bed.
This is some of the junk I'm digging out.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

Re: Another "New Garden"

Post by redcrx »

Here are some shots from Wednesday where I tried to get some of the tree roots out - these things sprout saplings.
new garden space - June 28, 2017
Here are some of the roots I'm dealing with.
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Yesterday I had most of the stuff cleared out. I gave up on trying to get all the tree roots out - I was causing too much damage to the azaleas and hardy orchids. I did have to take-out a large batch of hardy orchids but I just moved the clumps over to a cleaned out space.
Here you see one of the tree roots. The little azalea on the right was dug out of that cleared spot - it's a rooted-branch of a bush in that area.
new garden space - June 29, 2017
And the hardy orchid bed
And the clump removed
And the cleaned out spot
Now with the hardy orchids
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Now the "fun" part - what goes into the new space. I brought some things back from First Look that will probably go in there - Giantland First Scoop, Red Cloud, Fragrant Blue, Dancing Stars, Designer Genes. I also have some things sitting around - Restless Sea, The Razors Edge. Some old potted things I have - Emily Dickinson and I think I have a Barbara Ann.
And I was thinking of adding some of Art Wrede's seedlings that I have - some of the batch of Miss Angie seedlings (Miss Selene and Miss Miranda and a couple of unnamed ones).
Some patio blocks for separation so I can weed the area - not set yet. I also have not finished the front edge yet.
A little later with more blocks filled-in and looking from the opposite side of the space.
I'm planning a small white block front boarder. And I think I need these plants in baskets - I think those patio blocks are ideal homes for chipmunks who will tear-up the plant roots.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

It was a pot of Bobbie Sue and not Barbara Ann - I knew it began with a "B".

And maybe a piece of "Aurora's Brother" - a Gold Standard sport that is in a huge pot but has small leaves - in the ground the leaves would get bigger.

Another one to go in there is Lady Isobel Barnett and I have a Fran Godfrey around but I can't find it yet - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60822
Lady Isobel Barnett - June 30, 2017
Lady Isobel Barnett - June 30, 2017
I'm still working on the front edge. I was playing around with some pots today. They are not planted - just a hole with a pot dropped into it. That's Bobbie Sue on the left.
new garden space - June 30, 207
Here is Restless Sea and The Razors Edge. I'm planning on putting something on that central patio block - a small water effect maybe.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I finished digging out the grass. I dug some more holes to set pots in just to get some idea of what it looks like.
Here is the far end - from left to right (at the moment) The Razor's Edge, Jezebel (one of my Striptease sports), Branching Out (new from Tony Avant), Fran Godfrey, Lady Isobel Barnett.
new front garden - July 1, 2017
The center section with a lot of overlap. Restless Sea separates the far end from the near end.
From left to right - Austin Dickinson, a Miss Angie seedling (Art Wrede) Q1-C, Red Cloud, Restless Sea, and the same The Razor's Edge as the previous photo.
The near side or left side - from left to right - Bobbie Sue, Dancing Stars, Emily Dickinson (two small plants), Giantland First Scoop, and then a repeat of the previous photo Austin Dickinson, Q1-C and Red Cloud.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Still working with pots to go in there. Today I put one of my Sum and Substance sports into the middle and pushed Restless Sea to the end. I named it "Romulus" and yes there is Remus, it's in the "new" garden I plant 3 years ago.
new garden with "Romulus" in the middle - July 2, 2017
I noticed I am using a lot of plants that have people names - even "Red Cloud" could be an Indian name. Maybe that's a theme for this garden.

I need to track a good sized pot of Frances Williams.

One seedling I was planning to put in looks horrible this season - slug attack. I think it's gotten big in a cramped area and the wrens can't get in and hunt the slugs and snails. This is "Miss Selene" an Art Wrede seedling from Miss Angie.
"Miss Selene" - July 2, 2017
"Miss Selene" - July 2, 2017
Another Miss Angie seedling looks OK - "Miss Miranda" - but its wax coating is nearly gone.
"Miss Miranda" - July 2, 2017
"Miss Miranda" - July 2, 2017
And here another Miss Angie seedling I was thinking of using - starts out very yellow in the Spring.
unnamed Miss Angie seedling - July 2, 2017
unnamed Miss Angie seedling - July 2, 2017
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I found a pot of Frances Williams and put it on the far end - I didn't feel like digging, it was too hot and the sprinkler pipes are in that area and I need to be very careful.

Also continued thinking about "names" - I pulled out a pot of Gunther's Prize to go in; tracked down a pot of a Gold Standard sport I have named "Stephanie in Moonlight" (shown here years ago - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53129 - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56492&hilit=moonlight#p486809); came up with a name for a big pot I have - "Matthew's Fine Edge"; grabbed a pot with an old Sum and Substance sport (lightly streaked - I have shown it here many years ago - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51626) it needs sun and space; the white-centered Striptease sport I just found a name for (Georgiana) has been added to the mix.
Dancing Stars got moved out to my south side garden and Gunther's Prize went into that position.
Giantland First Scoop was moved to the right side and "Georgiana" put in its place.
New additions:
Gunther's Prize - July 3, 2017
Gunther's Prize - July 3, 2017
"Stephanie in Moonlight" - July 3, 2017
"Stephanie in Moonlight" - July 3, 2017
"Matthew's Fine Edge" - July 3, 2017
"Matthew's Fine Edge" - July 3, 2017
Sum and Substance sport lightly streaked - July 3, 2017
Sum and Substance sport lightly streaked - July 3, 2017
"Georgiana" - June 1, 2017
"Georgiana" - June 1, 2017
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Here is the current "look":
Left to right - "Stephanie in Moonlight", Bobbie Sue, Gunther's Prize, Emily Dickinson (2), "Matthew's Fine Edge" (large pot in back), "Georgiana", AWS Q1-C (unnamed seedling), Austin Dickinson, Red Cloud, S&S sport lightly streaked (unnamed sport), "Romulus" on the right edge.
New Garden - July 3, 2017
Left to right - Giantland First Scoop, The Razor's Edge, Ben Vernooij (forgot to mention this addition), Jezebel, Branching Out, Fran Godfrey, Lady Isobel Barnett, Restless Sea, Francis Williams (large pot on the end).
The entire grouping:
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I pulled two plants out of my troughs to go in the new bed. I put them in pots for the moment.
Both of these are Art Wrede seedlings from a group labeled Miss Angie. The one on the right I have named "Miss Miranda" - it's a lot bluer in the Spring. The one on the left is yellow earlier and has a shiny leaf bottom - I finally came up with a name today "Miss Angela Danielle". Art mentioned to me that the original 'Miss Angie' was a yellow.
"Miss Angela Danielle" & "Miss Miranda" - July 5, 2017
I also had an ulterior motive for getting the big yellow out of the trough - it was crowding another "yellow". The smaller yellow has a wax coating top and bottom of the leaf. It needs space to grow. (It's not going in the New Garden - I want to see it grow without competition.) The little weedling on the right is a seedling from longipes f. hypoglauca - it's in the next trough.
AWS Miss Angie seeedling Q3-B - July 5, 2017
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I finally got back into working on this spot after working on some other items. I got a few in from Chris that will be going in here - getting away from the "name" theme - 'Wings of a Prayer', 'Jabulani' and 'One Last Dance'.

I finally set the back blocks. Need to wait a while to see how stable they are. In setting them I needed to remove one that didn't fit right - more space for hosta.

I pulled two of my big pots out and cut them up so I can put pieces into the front garden.
The first is one I picked up last season that didn't have a real tag. I think it's 'Electrum Stater'.
I broke it in half. The piece on the right will go into the new garden.
maybe Electrum Stater - July 9, 2017
maybe Electrum Stater - July 9, 2017
The second plant I worked on is one of my sports "Aurora's Brother". (Getting back to the "name" theme.) It's a Gold Standard sport I found in 2014. It has gotten big in it's big pot. I cut it in half and took off some small side pieces and ended up with 5 pots - 2 large hunks (one of these will go into the new garden) and 3 small pots but one of those may be a sport. The plant has a bunch of leaves with a dark center stripe. When I took the plant apart it turned out most were on one segment. And the 2 similar leaves still on the main plant were both on the one segment.
"Aurora's Brother" - July 9, 2017
What may be a sporting piece:
The hosta pieces potted-up:
What may be a sporting piece:
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Found another pot I can use for the "Name" theme - 'Patricia the Stripper'. I think this is the remainder of what was left when the voles tore-up my garden a few years ago. It should grow well the good sun and water. I had similar plant really takeoff a few years ago in similar conditions that was a 'Blue Striptease' - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55367
'Patricia the Stripper' - July 10, 2017
'Patricia the Stripper' - July 10, 2017
I also pulled "Miss Selene" (seedling of Art Wrede's Miss Angie) out of her trough and potted it for the moment. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57978&p=501856&hilit=selene#p501856
"Miss Selene" - July 10, 2017
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I can't find a "water effect" that works for me. Also, haven't found statuary that I like.

I had an old strawberry pot doing nothing in my back yard so I pulled it out.
New Garden - July 13, 2017
New Garden - July 13, 2017
I can fill the holes with Lemon Frost and Pilgrim.

I'm still moving pots around to get what I want (whatever that is).
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I started thinking about other plants that can go in that pot. I have Baby Kim and Anne Arett growing in my garden - I could just take a piece from each - since they are small. I have My Marianne in a pot. So if I keep looking I could try to keep the "Name" theme - even Mighty Mouse would work.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

A couple more that could fit the "Name" theme -

Benedict's Wild Fire
Benedict's Wild Fire - July 21, 2017

and Jennifer Bailey could go in the big pot
Jennifer Bailey - July 21, 2017
It also hit me that I could use part of the pot of 'Francee' I was just working with. And give the streaked piece a "fancy" garden name like "Francene" or "Francesca". (I showed this photo in another topic.)
Francee piece and sport - July 20, 2017
Francee piece and sport - July 20, 2017
DelawareDonna
USDA Zone: 7A

Post by DelawareDonna »

Great job - and a lot of work on your part. I,d like to see photos of your new bed in a couple of years.
He who plants a garden plants happiness
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

The stone boarder went in a few days ago - now I can start setting them.
New Hosta Bed - August 3, 2017
New Hosta Bed - August 3, 2017
Give hosta more sun and they sprout (or get sunburned) - here's "Georgiana" getting new foliage.
"Georgiana" - August 3, 2017
"Georgiana" - August 3, 2017
And some new ones are coming into flower while they wait.
Branching Out
Branching Out - August 3, 2017
Branching Out - August 3, 2017
Restless Sea
Restless Sea - August 3, 2017
Restless Sea - August 3, 2017
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Put some in today:
Scooter is going in the pot- two pieces - and Scooter is a "Name" to me.
New Garden with Scooter in the pot - August 8, 2017
Some set in the front row:
Left to right - Amelia, Wings of a Prayer (not a "Name" plant but I like the different leaf type) and Gunther's Prize, Austin Dickinson, & "Miss Selene".
New Garden left side - August 8, 2017
continuing left to right - the same Austin Dickinson, and "Miss Selene", with Emily Dickinson next to the pot. The Emily Dickinson is actually two small pots planted together.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Set a few more today: 6R, 1C, 4L
On the right end with 'Frances William's on the end and 'Branching Out' (in flower) to the left of FW.
On the back row from right to left is 'Oh Cindy', 'Fran Godfrey', and 'Designer' Genes (it's here to see how it grows - I have one in too much shade which is small and one in too much sun which is bleaching the leaves - I wanted to see if this is a better environment). The FG is hard to see because it's behind a good sized 'Lady Isobel Barnett'. I haven't decide where the LIB is going.
New Garden right side - August 9, 2017
Slightly different angle to see 'Benedict's Wildfire' to the right behind 'Frances Williams'.
I put 'Red Cloud' just to the right of the pot.
New Garden center - August 9, 2017
New Garden center - August 9, 2017
On the left end, behind 'Amelia', I set "Stephanie in Moonlight" (my own Gold Standard sport that looks like 'Moonlight') middle left and 'Patricia the Stripper' top left - it's hard to see because it's small and dark but I wanted one of this type (similar to 'Kiwi Full Monty', 'Blue Striptease', 'Blue without You') in this environment.
Behind 'Wings of a Prayer' is "Georgiana" (one of my 'Striptease' sports) and "Aurora's Brother" (one of my 'Gold Standard' sports that resembles 'Aurora's Glow').
New Garden left - August 9, 2017
New Garden left - August 9, 2017
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Only got 4 small ones in today: 4R
Along the front row to the right of 'Red Cloud' - 'Ann Kulpa', 'Fragrant Blue', 'One Last Dance'.
New Front Garden - August 10, 2017
On the back of the far right a 'Pilgrim' went in.
New Topic Post Reply