Daily Hosta - 'Rhino Gold'

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Pieter

Daily Hosta - 'Rhino Gold'

Post by Pieter »

Don Rawson was kind enough to share a 2 shoot division of 'Rhino Gold' with me last year. Unlike 'Rhino Hide' this one apparently is a diploid, not a tetraploid, and Don has his doubts about its garden worthiness and doesn't think it'll go into production. It's a slow grower, like 'Rhino Hide', and it simply fattened up to a more substantial 2 shoot plant this spring. Here it is in early May, still quite green.
Resize of P1150191_rhinogold.JPG
Due to a lack of room I have it planted in a 5 gallon pot which is situated directly below another 5 gallon pot with an 'Abiqua Drinking Gourd' in it. I cannot help but wonder about the relationship somewhere along the line, very similar leaf size, texture and substance. In this mid-June picture you can see subject plant starting to lutesce and you see a few of the ADG leaves at the top of the picture.
Resize of P1150676_rhinogold.JPG
The plant didn't flower for me last year but did this year. There was evidence of fasciation on one of the scapes and one of the flowers had a doubling of stamens.
Resize of P7050034_rhinogold_flowers_fasciated.JPG
Pods are developing, should have some seed to sow in the spring :)
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply