'Earth Angel' sport

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Pieter

'Earth Angel' sport

Post by Pieter »

I found a sport on one of my 'Earth Angel's last year and this year it came back nice and vigorous. So I thought I'd separate it and see what happens with it. It's basically a solid-coloured of the edge variegation, and that COULD be an issue for how well it will grow on its own, time will tell. Haven't come up with a garden name for it as yet...but on second thought I thought that "Yellow Angel" would be apropos in this case.
Resize of P1170339_earthangel_sport.JPG
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: 'Earth Angel' sport

Post by Tigger »

Pieter,

Perhaps it's telling that there are no named "yy" (all-gold) sports in the 'Blue Angel' family shown in Hugo's database, although perhaps 'Firefighter's Angel' could be close (registered, but no pics in Hosta Library). It will be interesting to see how it lives on its own.

If it does well, then maybe 'Sunny Angel' or 'High-flying Angel' is better than "Yellow"? Always better to have a name that is better keyed to internet searches, IMO.

David
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Thanks for your suggestions, David. Other names suggested were "Golden Angel" and "Angel Aura". Whatever name I end up with eventually -if it shows promise later in the season- it will incorporate the Angel moniker to make it easy for me to remember its origins. I'll keep the thread updated as the season goes on, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Pieter

Pieter's Hosta List
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Resize of P1170374_earthangel_sport.JPG
Well, lookahere, there's yet another shoot in this plant that's sported. I'll leave it attached and see how it and the separated one differ later on in the season in terms of size and vigour.
Pieter

Pieter's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply