Adding to an existing garden

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Adding to an existing garden

Post by redcrx »

About 10 years ago I cleaned out the raw woods in my back yard and created a garden. (Still have greenbriar coming up.) One area close to the house I had bird feeders in. This space was divided into 4 roughly equal segments separated by some stepping blocks. In the first segment I had a lot of Fragrant Bouquet sports and some streakers. The second had a mix of plants. The third segment only had a couple of hosta mixed with a bunch of day-lilies. The fourth segment had about 5 hosta and was the shadiest area. The fourth segment turned out to be a problem because I needed room to remove debris when I was cleaning up and these plants got stepped on a lot. So they came out and went into pots. I also allowed phlox to grow in the second and third segments. Over the years the phlox became a problem as they started to dominate the garden. I have a similar problem in my front garden where I grow hardy orchids - the mature phlox develop a woody "crown" that overgrows the orchids and kill them. They have a similar impact on the hosta and day-lilies. Last season I started to dig them out. The third section only has 2 hosta (Fried Green Tomatoes and one of my weedlings Bri-Sun's Buddy) along with some day-lilies. Last September my daughter got married and as part for the "flower" arrangement they had many potted hosta plants. I am now in the process of setting those plants in that space. I'm still digging out smaller phlox.

The plants are Oh Cindy,, Forbidden Fruit, and something blue maybe Elegans.
Wedding Garden - June 2, 2018
Here are the two hosta already in that space.
The green in back is Fried Green Tomatoes and the blue up front is Bri-Sun's Buddy.
Here is a view across the groups.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
New Topic Post Reply